The northern Greek border village of Idomeni has become a makeshift home for thousands of refugees who cannot leave the country and while most are living in horrid conditions in fields and tents, several have been welcomed into the home of a Greek grandmother who knows what it means to lose a home.
One local, 82-year-old, Panagiota Vasileiadou is welcoming refugees into her home. The daughter of Asia Minor refugees appreciates, recognizes and has compassion for what these people are going through after losing her family home during the Second World War and growing up in a home of refugees from Anatolia.
“I was seven years old when our house was burned down, she says in a video interview for the United Nations High Commission on Refugees (below), adding that “We didn’t have a spoon, fork, bread or clothes. The only thing we had left were the nightgowns we were wearing.”
She provides food, water and shelter for her guests using her monthly €450 pension and whatever her children can give.
“This old woman made our lives easier”, says Baraa, an Iraqi refugee. “I thank her so much and she represents the Greek people and what Greece stands for.”
In absence of a common language— guests usually speak Arabic and Panagiota speaks only Greek, her guests address her as “Mama”.
“My life changed because I have company in the house”, explains Vasileiadou. “I talk, we laugh. Even though we can’t understand each other.”
Source: Pappas Post
- Greek American World War II Refugee Leaves $600 Million Fortune to Charity
- 95-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor Funds Rescue Of 2,000 ISIS Victims
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Banksy reminds the world that Steve Jobs was a son of a Syrian migrant
- Photographer Reveals The Heartbreaking Places Syrian Refugee Children Sleep
- World's refugee population hits all-time high of 60mn, half of them children – UN
- Saudi Arabia Has Enough Tents With A/C To House 3 Million People, Yet Has Taken In ZERO Refugees
- Artists Around The World Respond To Tragic Death Of 3-Year-Old Syrian Refugee
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
- Triple terror: Up to 60 killed, 80 wounded, 3 car bombs explode in Syrian Christian town
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- THE END OF ISIS? Russian Airforce Just Destroyed ISIS’ Main Financial Source: 500 Oil Trucks
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The History Behind ISIS. Their Latest Shocking Terrorist Attacks Around The World.
- Paris: She Was Faking The Dead For More Than An Hour Lying Down Surrounded By Other People's Blood
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword: 28 Cartoonists Pay Tribute To The Victims Of The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
- Arab Newspapers React To ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Attacks With Cartoons Of Their Own
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Germany owes more than €279bn WWII reparations to Greece - more than Greece's debt to EU