Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
Sandra Tsiligeridu and a group of friends were returning from an excursion to a tiny island called Pserimos, near Kos when a man was spotted in the water. Thinking he was a diver, the group waved and turned the steering of the boat to avoid him.
But Sandra noticed the man was in distress. “I looked at him and he needed help. I immediately screamed to my friend who was driving our boat to turn around, because this man needed help.”
The seas were high— five Beaufort, and it was windy. Together, the Greeks lifted him out of the water and into their boat.
He was shaking and scared so Sandra wrapped towels around him and immediately called the port of Kos to let them know they had rescued a man. She hugged and comforted him the entire way back to port.
Relieved, the port authorities responded that the man’s family had been looking for him.
The man, named Mohamed, departed at 5:00am that day with 40 Syrian refugees and headed for Kos. The seas were rough and the raft— with no motor and only two oars— was no match for the plastic dinghy.
As the story was later shared by those onboard the raft, the waves were huge and knocked one of the oars into the water. Seeing that the entire boat would succumb to the sea with only one oar, Mohamed dove into the water in an attempt to grab the oar so they could continue their journey to Kos.
Darkness and waves led to confusion and Mohamed was distanced from his raft— and family. They did end up throwing him a life vest, which ultimately saved him.
The raft with the 39 refugees arrived on the island of Kos at noon— 7 hours after their journey began at 5am and the family immediately reported Mohamed as missing. The Greek Coast Guard immediately initiated a search and rescue mission which lasted for over five hours but didn’t find Mohamed, presuming that he had drowned.
Then around 6pm after— 13 hours after diving not the sea and losing contact with the dinghy he was on, he was rescued by Sandra and her fellow Greeks.
Sandra said she felt “blessed” that she was able to help Mohamed and reunite him with his family.
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Which dictator killed the most People?
- When You Kill Ten Million Africans You Aren’t Called ‘Hitler’
- Stunning Time Lapse Map Video Shows 1000 Years Of Europe's History In 3 Minutes
- Watch What The Spanish People Did For Greece!
- Non-Profit Organization Brings Free Solar Energy To The People Of Gaza
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
- Over 50 Israeli Soldiers Refuse to Fight and Call on Other Conscripts to Resist Military Orders
- 9 Graphics to Help You Understand What Life Is Really Like in Gaza
- Palestinian Woman Plants Flowers In Israeli Army Tear Gas Grenades
- This Brilliant Animation Provides A Brief History Of The Bloody Israel/Palestine Conflict
- 16 Children & Their Bedrooms From Around the World…
- 20 Of The Most Dangerous And Unusual Journeys To School In The World
- These 20 Photographs Will Leave You Speechless. Especially The 11th One. There Are No Words.
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- 30 Of The Most Powerful Images Ever
- 35 Moments Of Violence That Brought Out Incredible Human Compassion
- The 63 Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken That Perfectly Capture The Human Experience
- 64 Historical Pictures you most likely haven’t seen before. # 8 is a bit disturbing!
- Ultimate Collection Of Rare Historical Photos. A Big Piece Of History (200 Pictures)
- The man who stopped World War III