Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
A Turkish couple had a wedding to remember as they fed 4,000 Syrian refugees during their celebration. The bride and groom tied the knot in the city of Kilis, near the Syrian border, which has been flooded with refugees, fleeing the Syrian civil war.
Fethullah Uzumcuoglu and Esra Polat were the happy couple and they got the idea from the groom’s father Ali, who believed the pair could start their union by giving something back.
“I thought that sharing a big delicious dinner with our family and friends was unnecessary, knowing that there are so many people in need living next door,” he said, speaking to The Independent’s i100.co.uk.
“So I came up with this idea and shared it with my son. I’m very happy that he accepted it and they started their new happy journey with such a selfless action,” he added.
The family were helped out by the charity Kimse Yok Mu, who provided a tuck to provide the food to the refugees. All the members of the wedding reception pitched in, to help serve the meals to those in need. Hatice Avci, a spokesman for the charity, said that the couple had used the money they had received from their families to pay for all the food.
The bride was at first slightly surprised by the proposal by her now father-in-law, however, she soon came onboard and said it was a wonderful experience.
“I’m happy that we had the opportunity to share our wedding meal with the people who are in real need,” Polat said.
All good couples think alike, and her thoughts were shared by her husband.
Turkish bride and groom give hundreds of Syrian refuges in turkey food instead of having guests for their wedding. 🙏🏼 pic.twitter.com/UNxx7Yzl3s— Bash (@bashar_shammas) August 3, 2015
“We thought that on such a happy day, we would share the wedding party with our Syrian brothers and sisters. We thought this was best done with Kimse Yok Mu who could provide a truck. God willing, this will lead to others doing the same and giving food to our Syrian brothers and sisters. For us, it was an interesting wedding dinner,” Fethullah said, according to the Telegraph.
As a result of the ongoing civil war, Syria now has the world’s largest number of displaced people, overtaking Afghanistan for the first time. There are a total of 7.6 million Syrians who have had to flee their homes, with 3.9 million living outside the country, a report by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) stated in June.
- Baltimore Restaurant Shuts Down For 5 Days To Feed The Homeless Free Food
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Which dictator killed the most People?
- When You Kill Ten Million Africans You Aren’t Called ‘Hitler’
- Stunning Time Lapse Map Video Shows 1000 Years Of Europe's History In 3 Minutes
- Watch What The Spanish People Did For Greece!
- Non-Profit Organization Brings Free Solar Energy To The People Of Gaza
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
- Over 50 Israeli Soldiers Refuse to Fight and Call on Other Conscripts to Resist Military Orders
- 9 Graphics to Help You Understand What Life Is Really Like in Gaza
- Palestinian Woman Plants Flowers In Israeli Army Tear Gas Grenades
- This Brilliant Animation Provides A Brief History Of The Bloody Israel/Palestine Conflict
- 16 Children & Their Bedrooms From Around the World…
- 20 Of The Most Dangerous And Unusual Journeys To School In The World
- These 20 Photographs Will Leave You Speechless. Especially The 11th One. There Are No Words.
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- 30 Of The Most Powerful Images Ever
- 35 Moments Of Violence That Brought Out Incredible Human Compassion
- The 63 Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken That Perfectly Capture The Human Experience
- 64 Historical Pictures you most likely haven’t seen before. # 8 is a bit disturbing!
- Ultimate Collection Of Rare Historical Photos. A Big Piece Of History (200 Pictures)
- The man who stopped World War III
Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees Reviewed by Truth Seeker on 1:28 AM Rating: