World-known street artist Banksy revealed a new mural on December 11th, in the sprawling refugee camp in Calais, France. The painting illustrates Steve Jobs, the famous founder of Apple, as a Syrian refugee.
Banksy created a series of new works at "the Jungle" migrant camp in Calais, France in order to remind nations to be more accepting of refugees.
In the mural, Jobs is pictured with a black bin bag thrown over one shoulder and an original Macintosh computer in his hand.
In a rare statement accompanying the work, Banksy said: “We’re often led to believe migration is a drain on the country’s resources but Steve Jobs was the son of a Syrian migrant. Apple is the world’s most profitable company, it pays over $7bn (£4.6bn) a year in taxes – and it only exists because they allowed in a young man from Homs.”
Jobs was adopted. His biological father, Abdul Fattah Jandali, moved to the US in the 1950s, following his upbringing in Homs and time at the University of Beirut in Lebanon. He met Jobs’ mother in the US, who later put Jobs up for adoption. Jandali is a non-practicing Muslim who ultimately fled Lebanon “because of protests and demonstrations that eventually toppled the president of Lebanon.”
There are among the 60 million people fleeing war or persecution from Syria to Sudan plenty of people destined for the singular greatness that Jobs achieved. But there are also millions more who aren’t — millions of people who, like the rest of us, will not manage to become the next Jobs, or the next Albert Einstein, or any of the other famous refugees whose names have been tossed about as proof that refugees are worthy of our help. (source) Millions of ordinary human beings are tormented. They may not change the world, but they’re no less deserving for it.
In pictures posted on the artist's website, the work can be seen near tents and adjacent to another piece of graffiti which reads: "Nobody deserves to live this way!"
The camp in Calais is home to about 7,000 migrants and refugees, the majority from Syria, Afghanistan and Eritrea.
While at the camp, Banksy painted several other pieces, including one based on Theodore Gericault's famous painting Raft of the Medusa, but depicting refugees waving towards a luxury yacht.
French authorities plan to install shield glass or transparent plastic panels to protect the life-size graffiti of the late Apple founder Steve Jobs which appeared on one of the concrete open-air pillars of the bridge inside the migrant camp – as well as two of Banksy's other murals in the port city.
Banksy recently donated wood and other structural elements from his "bemusement park" installation Dismaland to the Calais camp to help build shelters.
The installation, in Weston-Super-Mare, closed in September.
Based on: QZ
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
- 15 Of Banksy’s Most Iconic Street Artworks
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- World's refugee population hits all-time high of 60mn, half of them children – UN
- Saudi Arabia Has Enough Tents With A/C To House 3 Million People, Yet Has Taken In ZERO Refugees
- Artists Around The World Respond To Tragic Death Of 3-Year-Old Syrian Refugee
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
- Triple terror: Up to 60 killed, 80 wounded, 3 car bombs explode in Syrian Christian town
- 95-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor Funds Rescue Of 2,000 ISIS Victims
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- THE END OF ISIS? Russian Airforce Just Destroyed ISIS’ Main Financial Source: 500 Oil Trucks
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The History Behind ISIS. Their Latest Shocking Terrorist Attacks Around The World.
- Paris: She Was Faking The Dead For More Than An Hour Lying Down Surrounded By Other People's Blood
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword: 28 Cartoonists Pay Tribute To The Victims Of The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
- Arab Newspapers React To ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Attacks With Cartoons Of Their Own
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children