353,000 victims of the Pontian Genocide are remembered every year on May 19— designated by the Greek parliament as an official holiday in the country.
On this day in 1919, Kemal Ataturk landed in the Black Sea coastal city of Samsounda and began a devastating massacre against the ethnic Greeks who had been living in the region known as Pontos for thousands of years.
The Pontian Genocide, although commemorated and remembered separately, was part of the mass annihilation of Asia Minor’s Christian presence that included millions of Armenians, Assyrians and Anatolian Greeks that took place between 1914 and 1922, ending with the burning in Smyrna in 1922.
Hundreds of thousands of Pontians that survived fled to mainland Greece as refugees and established cities and communities throughout the country.
Despite this near-annihilation, the Pontian refugees flourished and maintained their dialect, culture and traditions, including in large diaspora communities outside of Greece’s borders.
Source: The Pappas Post
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Turkey Detains 18 Academics For Criticizing Military Campaign Against Kurds as Chomsky Takes Aim at Erdoğan's Brutality, Hypocrisy
- Turkey: Border Guards Kill and Injure Asylum Seekers (Human Rights Watch)
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- THE END OF ISIS? Russian Airforce Just Destroyed ISIS’ Main Financial Source: 500 Oil Trucks
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The History Behind ISIS. Their Latest Shocking Terrorist Attacks Around The World.
- Paris: She Was Faking The Dead For More Than An Hour Lying Down Surrounded By Other People's Blood
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword: 28 Cartoonists Pay Tribute To The Victims Of The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
- Arab Newspapers React To ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Attacks With Cartoons Of Their Own
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Artists Around The World Respond To Tragic Death Of 3-Year-Old Syrian Refugee
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees