(Video) 1,400 Year Old Christian Monastery in Iraq Razed
The Associated Press is reporting that satellite photos they have obtained confirm what church leaders, historians and Middle East preservationists had feared: that the oldest Christian monastery in Iraq has been reduced to a field of rubble.
St. Elijah’s joins a growing list of more than 100 religious and historic sites looted and destroyed by Islamic extremists ISIS, including mosques, tombs, shrines and churches. Ancient monuments in the cities of Nineveh, Palmyra, Hatra and throughout the region are in ruins. Museums and libraries have been pillaged, books burned, artwork crushed — or trafficked.
St. Elijah’s Monastery was a Christian place of worship for more than 1,400 years. In earlier millennia, generations of monks lived and worshipped here. The Greek letters chi and rho, representing the first two letters of Christ’s name, were carved near the entrance.
Before and after satellite images obtained by the Associated Press
Catholic priest Rev. Paul Thabit Habib, 39, stared in disbelief at the before- and after- images that were obtained by the Associated Press, adding that “Our Christian history in Mosul is being barbarically leveled,” he said in Arabic. “We see it as an attempt to expel us from Iraq, eliminating and finishing our existence in this land.”
Built in 590, the monastery has a long and storied history. Tragedy struck at St. Elijah’s in 1743, when as many as 150 monks who refused to convert to Islam were massacred.
In 2003 St. Elijah’s closed again — this time a wall was smashed by a tank during the Iraq War. Iraqi troops had already moved in, dumping garbage in the cistern. Then the U.S. Army’s 101st Airborne Division took control, painting over ancient murals and scrawling their division’s “Screaming Eagle,” on the walls.
In this April 3, 2010, photo released by the U.S. Army, soldiers celebrate a Catholic Easter Mass at St. Elijah’s Monastery on the outskirts of Mosul, Iraq. Satellite photos obtained by The Associated Press confirm the worst fears of church authorities and preservationists: Iraq’s oldest Christian monastery has been completely wiped out since the takeover of Mosul by the Islamic State group. (Sgt. Shannon R. Gregory/U.S. Army)
Recognizing its significance, a U.S. army chaplain began a preservation initiative.
Source: Pappas Post
- Triple terror: Up to 60 killed, 80 wounded, 3 car bombs explode in Syrian Christian town
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- THE END OF ISIS? Russian Airforce Just Destroyed ISIS’ Main Financial Source: 500 Oil Trucks
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The History Behind ISIS. Their Latest Shocking Terrorist Attacks Around The World.
- Paris: She Was Faking The Dead For More Than An Hour Lying Down Surrounded By Other People's Blood
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword: 28 Cartoonists Pay Tribute To The Victims Of The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- Saudi Arabia Has Enough Tents With A/C To House 3 Million People, Yet Has Taken In ZERO Refugees
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
- 95-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor Funds Rescue Of 2,000 ISIS Victims
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
(Video) 1,400 Year Old Christian Monastery in Iraq Razed Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 4:57 PM Rating: