The Famous Wheel Of Emotions Can Determine Who You Are (Quiz)
Scroll Down to the end of the article for the quiz
Randy Ingermanson once said that people read books because they want to have an emotional experience. While that’s certainly true of “Twilight”, I think it holds true for all books. Even books about negative characters can be interesting to us because of their emotional content due to what James Scott Bell calls a “‘car wreck’ dynamic”.
Ironically, even though we’ve all experienced many, many emotions throughout our lives, few humans are experts. So, depicting them in our stories can seem an impossible task. However, as with most things, we can learn to be better at emotions.
But where to begin? Emotions are complicated and confusing. Consider these obstacles:
- Many lists of emotions have been generated, yet no matter how much they overlap, they never quite converge. Some are even in conflict with one another.
- There is no agreed-upon method to organize emotions. Do emotions resemble a list, a tree structure, or a three-dimensional shape? Can they even be visualized?
- There is no agreed-upon method to name emotions. What someone calls “Joy” is called “Happiness” by another.
- As if this weren’t complex enough, there also seem to be levels of intensity to emotions. What is the difference between Affection, Love, and Ecstasy but the level of intensity?
- Ecstasy but the level of intensity?
- Emotions seem to somehow blend together to form new emotions that are distinct from their progenitors.
- Even Wikipedia, a site that normally excels at harnessing the collective knowledge of the human race, fails to adequately deliver on a comprehensive list and understanding of emotions. The current list includes 80 separate emotions yet many overlap. And some are, well, foreign. Schadenfreude anyone?
So, how can emotions be classified so that we better understand them, and understanding them better use them in our writings? I believe psychologist and researcher Robert Plutchik who spent decades studying emotions has the answer. Plutchik’s research yielded some amazing discoveries about emotions including a comprehensive list of eight primary emotions arranged as opposing pairs. Observe:
- Joy vs Sadness
- Trust vs Disgust
- Fear vs Anger
- Surprise vs Anticipation
He also visualized this list as a wheel of sorts, referred to by some as Plutchik’s Flower:
Analogous to a color wheel, variations in color intensity correspond to variations in emotional intensity. Thus, the eight primary emotions occupy the middle ring of the flower with more intense forms occurring in the center (note the bolder colors) and milder forms the extremities (note the paler colors). For example, “Rage” is the stronger form of “Anger” while “Annoyance” is the weaker. Also note that the two-dimensional flower can fold into a spinning top shape as shown in the upper-left corner. The tip of the top and the center of the flower is the point of emotional zero.
Plutchik’s approach satisfies our needs by providing:
- a semantically-consistent set of distinct emotions
- an organizational structure
- a standard set of names
Plutchik’s approach satisfies our expectations by providing:
- levels of intensity in emotions
- the blending of primary emotions to form new ones
- the concept of emotional “opposites” as mutually exclusive pairs
- a blank, non-emotional state
In summary, Robert Plutchik left us a deep legacy. Next time I’ll write about blending emotions. This is where the really interesting stuff happens and which can be directly applied to the process of writing.
The Colors You Choose In The Famous Wheel Of Emotions Can Determine Who You Are (QUIZ)
According to Prof. Robert Plutchik’s emotional wheel – there are 8 primary emotions, and each one of them has its own color. Take this 8-question test based on his research, and discover who you really are!
Source: The Mind's Journal via Earth Child
- QUIZ: 97% Of People Can’t See The Colors In These Patterns. Can You?
- The Way You See Color Reveals THIS About You!
- What Is Your True Personality Color?
- This Color Blot Test Will Determine Your Dominant Personality Trait
- QUIZ: 96% Of People Can’t Pass This Color IQ Test
- Can You Pass The Color Intelligence Test?
- Only 1 in 4 people can see all the colors: do the test!
- Only 33% Of People Can Pass This Quiz. Can You Pass The Color Memory Test?
- What Is Your Secret Psychological Power According To Your Subconscious?
- Test: What Is Your Subconscious Mind Trying To Tell You?
- Mind Game: What Level Of Intuition Do You Have?
- Only The 2 % Knows The Capitals Of These 25 Countries. Are YOU In?
- How Many Of All These Writing Systems Can You Recognize?
- You Can Only Fit Into ONE Of These Four Personalities. Which Is It?
- This 10 Question Quiz Will Determine If You're Type A Or Type B Personality
- “Cube Test” Will Reveal Hidden Secrets About Your Personality
- This Abstract Image Test Will Determine Your Dominant Personality Trait
- What Is Your True Personality?
- What Is Your Personality Type According To The Words You Use?
- This Quiz Will Reveal Your Psychological Age
- Can You Pass Psychology 101?
- What Is Your Dominant Psychological Trait?
- This Quiz Will Determine Which Side Of Your Brain Is More Dominant
- Can We Guess Your Age Based On Your Lifestyle Choices?
- TEST: Is Your Brain Easily Confused?
- Is Your Brain Logical Or Creative?
- What's YOUR Brain Age?
- Only Smart Enough People Can Pass This Hit-The-Dot Test. Can You?
- Quiz: How Sensitive Is Your OCD Radar?
- This 3 question Tibetan test can reveal a lot about who you really are
- This 25 Question Test Will Determine Which Type Of Introvert You Are!
- 97% Of Adults Can NOT Pass This Elementary Test! Can You?
- Can you Pass a 4th Grade Math Test?
- This Test Will Determine Whether Your IQ Is Higher Than The Average Person
- Are You Emotionally Intelligent? Find Out Your EQ
- Do You Have The Intelligence Of A Scientist Or An Artist?
- The 9 Types of Multiple Intelligences - Which "Smart" Are You?
- What's Your Dominant Intelligence?
- This Is The Difficult Mathematical Riddle That All The Internet Is Trying to Solve! Can YOU Solve It?
- Test your Scientific and Technological Knowledge
- Almost NO ONE Could Solve This Riddle. Are You Able To Outsmart The Rest?
- Just 6% Of Americans Got All Of These Basic Science Questions Right. How Well Will You Do?
- Only 2 % Are Able To Solve This Einstein's Riddle! Are YOU Able?
- What Level Of Maturity Is Your Soul?
- Which Of The Three Body Energies Is Your Most Dominant?
- What Kind Of Optical Perception Do You Have?
- How Good Is Your Eyesight And Perception?
- Can You Actually See As Well As You Think You Can?
- What Did You See First?
- Test: Do You See A Duck Or A Rabbit?
- How Good Are You At Reading People?
- What Type Of Heart Do You Have?
- 95% Of People Can't Get The Perfect Score In This Basic Memory Test
- Quiz: What is your strongest mental ability?
- Can You Find The Six Words Hidden In These Pictures?
- What Kind Of Unique Person Are You According To What You See?
- How Much Common Sense Do You Have?
The Famous Wheel Of Emotions Can Determine Who You Are (Quiz) Reviewed by Κατερίνα Παπακυριακοπούλου on 4:29 AM Rating: