Portland Just Installed Water Pipes That Generate Electricity!
Lucid Energy, a Portland-based energy company, has come up with a brilliant idea to harness electricity from the water that flows through a city’s pipes. Small turbines are installed into the pipes which send the energy collected from the flowing water into a power generator.
“It’s pretty rare to find a new source of energy where there’s no environmental impact. But this is inside a pipe, so no fish or endangered species are impacted. That’s what’s exciting,” Gregg Semler, CEO of Lucid Energy, said in a statement.
“We have a project in Riverside, California, where they’re using it to power streetlights at night. During the day, when electricity prices are high, they can use it to offset some of their operating costs,” Semler says.
Lucid’s new power-generating pipes have recently been installed in Portland, where they are powering many different public spaces throughout the city. This is even more efficient than many other renewable forms of energy because these pipes can harness electricity 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, in any weather.
“We made electrical infrastructure really smart over the last 20 to 25 years, but the same hasn’t happened in water. They didn’t really know that the pipe burst until somebody from UCLA called. Our pipe can get indicators like pressure, a leading indicator for whether a pipe is leaking or not. So before it bursts and before we waste all the water, there are onboard information systems that water agencies can get to more precisely manage their infrastructure,” Semler said.
Sensors in the pipe can even monitor the quality of the water to ensure that it is safe to drink.
Semler said that this technology could be even more useful in remote areas that are farther away from central power grids.
“It’s a great source of remote power. So in places outside the city that don’t have an electrical grid, you’re able to use the system to generate energy. There’s a lot of energy in going into making sure we have safe clean drinking water. Our focus is really on helping water become more sustainable,” he said.
About the Author
John Vibes writes for True Activist and is an author, researcher and investigative journalist who takes a special interest in the counter culture and the drug war.
Source: True Activist
- Funny Looking Tower Generates 600% More Electrical Energy Than Traditional Wind Turbines
- Denmark Just Produced 140% Of Its Electricity Needs Via Wind Power
- This Gorgeous Power Plant Will Use Ocean Tides To Power 155K Homes
- India Unveils The World’s First 100% Solar Powered Airport
- Solar Plane Completes Record 120-Hour Flight Across Pacific Ocean!
- Rapper Akon Opens Academy to Provide Solar Power to 600 Million Africans
- Non-Profit Organization Brings Free Solar Energy To The People Of Gaza
- Newly Invented Off-Grid Solar Grill Can Store Energy & Cook At Night Without Electricity
- This Clear Solar Cell Could Turn Every Window Into A Power Source
- Stick This Portable Outlet To Your Window To Start Using Solar Power!
- How to Build a Solar Heating Panel with Soda Cans
- How To Build a 400 Square Foot Solar Powered Off Grid Cabin for $2,000
- Water Nest 100: An Eco-Friendly, Solar-Powered Home Made With Near 100% Recycled Materials
- Fungus Discovered in Rainforest Capable Of Eating Plastic Pollution
- UK About To Test Roads That Charge Electric Cars As They Drive
- Tesla’s $3,500 Powerwall Will Let Households Run Entirely On Solar Energy!
- The World’s First Flying Car Is Finally Here
- Terrafugia the World's first Flying Car
- This $10,000 Car Runs On Air
- The New Hybrid Car That Runs on Air!
- A Hovercar That Works Using The Magnetics Of The Earth!
- This Car Runs For 100 Years Without Refuelling - The Thorium Car
- Tesla Hyperloop Train Can Travel At 4000 mph
Portland Just Installed Water Pipes That Generate Electricity! Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 4:39 PM Rating: