The Sheerwind wind turbine promises to produce 6 times the electrical power than traditional wind turbines.
This funny looking wind tower acts like a funnel, directing the wind from any angle, down through a tube to a ground based turbine generator. The funneling of the wind through a narrow passage effectively creates a “jet effect” increasing the velocity of the wind, while lowering the pressure. This is called the Venturi Effect. This speeds up the wind turbine mounted inside the narrowest portion and generates electricity.
As such it can capture and generate electricity at a much lower wind speed than current wind power technologies. The idea is so simple, so elegant, and promises to produce so much more energy at lower cost and more efficiently, that it might just be the answer to many problems with current wind turbine technology. Aside from the lower capital investment to get started, and increased efficiency and power generation, it also might be a solution to the ever growing problem of birds (and bats) being killed by traditional wind farms. (Yes, that is a problem)
This technology is not really new in the science of fluid dynamics, however this is a new way to generate electricity, and if successful, promises to grow the wind energy in a more eco-friendly way than ever thought possible. Imagine a smaller HOME version on your off grid cabin. Now THAT is cool off grid tech!
Conventional wind turbines use massive turbine generator systems mounted on top of a tower. INVELOX, by contrast, funnels wind energy to ground-based generators.
Instead of snatching bits of energy from the wind as it passes through the blades of a rotor, wind is captured with a funnel and directed through a tapering passageway that naturally accelerates its flow.
This stream of kinetic energy then drives a generator that is installed safely and economically at ground level.
Venturi Effect Animation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Venturi.gif
Source: Off Grid World
- Denmark Just Produced 140% Of Its Electricity Needs Via Wind Power
- This Gorgeous Power Plant Will Use Ocean Tides To Power 155K Homes
- India Unveils The World’s First 100% Solar Powered Airport
- Solar Plane Completes Record 120-Hour Flight Across Pacific Ocean!
- Rapper Akon Opens Academy to Provide Solar Power to 600 Million Africans
- Non-Profit Organization Brings Free Solar Energy To The People Of Gaza
- Newly Invented Off-Grid Solar Grill Can Store Energy & Cook At Night Without Electricity
- This Clear Solar Cell Could Turn Every Window Into A Power Source
- Stick This Portable Outlet To Your Window To Start Using Solar Power!
- How to Build a Solar Heating Panel with Soda Cans
- How To Build a 400 Square Foot Solar Powered Off Grid Cabin for $2,000
- Water Nest 100: An Eco-Friendly, Solar-Powered Home Made With Near 100% Recycled Materials
- Fungus Discovered in Rainforest Capable Of Eating Plastic Pollution
- UK About To Test Roads That Charge Electric Cars As They Drive
- Tesla’s $3,500 Powerwall Will Let Households Run Entirely On Solar Energy!
- The World’s First Flying Car Is Finally Here
- Terrafugia the World's first Flying Car
- This $10,000 Car Runs On Air
- The New Hybrid Car That Runs on Air!
- A Hovercar That Works Using The Magnetics Of The Earth!
- This Car Runs For 100 Years Without Refuelling - The Thorium Car
- Tesla Hyperloop Train Can Travel At 4000 mph