In the United States, Native Americans are considered to be people whose pre-Columbian ancestors were indigenous to the lands within the nation's modern boundaries. In fact, many thousands of years before Christopher Columbus’ ships landed in the Bahamas, a different group of people discovered America: the nomadic ancestors of modern Native Americans who hiked over a “land bridge” from Asia to what is now Alaska more than 12,000 years ago.
Here's a collection of Native American saying that will give you a little taste of these people's wisdom.
1) Do not judge your neighbor until you walk two moons in his moccasins.
2) Old age is not as honorable as death, but most people want it.
3) Don't be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts.
4) Day and night cannot dwell together.
5) It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.
6) They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind.
7) All plants are our brothers and sisters. They talk to us and if we listen, we can hear them.
8) Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown.
9) Before eating, always take time to thank the food.
10) By listening to the inner self and following one's instincts and intuitions, a person may be guided to safety.
11) If a man is as wise as a serpent, he can afford to be as harmless as a dove.
12) There is no death, only a change of worlds.
13) You already possess everything necessary to become great.
14) When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us.
15) Beware of the man who does not talk, and the dog that does not bark.
16) Those who have one foot in the canoe, and one foot in the boat, are going to fall into the river.
17) If we wonder often, the gift of knowledge will come.
18) Most of us do not look as handsome to others as we do to ourselves.
19) Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.
20) In age, talk; in childhood, tears.
21) We always return to our first loves.
22) What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.
23) When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
24) Those who have one foot in the canoe, and one foot in the boat, are going to fall into the river.
25) The weakness of the enemy makes our strength.
26) When the white man discovered this country, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this.
27) A good soldier is a poor scout.
28) Don’t judge those who’ve lost their way.
29) Treat your guests with utmost respect.
30) Honor other people’s thoughts, wishes and words.
- 10 Pieces Of Wisdom & Quotes From Native American Elders
- 10 Quotes From a Sioux Indian Chief That Will Make You Question Everything About Our Society
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
- 30 Precious Life Lessons By 10 Ancient Greek Philosophers
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- Socrates Was One Of The Smartest People Ever Lived. Here Are 24 Out Of His Most Important Quotes That Everyone Needs To Read
- Socrates: The Test Of Three
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 17 Of Plato's Most Famous Quotes That Can Help Us Improve Our Lives
- This Animation Will Explain To You Plato's Philosophy In Almost 3 Minutes
- 40 Aristotle's Quotes That Will Make You Think And Can Change Your Life
- 40 Golden Words By Epictetus, The Ancient Greek Philosopher Who Was Born A Slave
- 12 Life Lessons from Jesus That Everyone Should Read Before They Die
- 170 Intriguing and Thought Provoking African Proverbs & Quotes
- 35 Inspiring & Philosophical Quotes By Lao Tzu (Laozi)
- 37 Confucius' Quotes That Will Help You Understand The Chinese Philosophy
- Leonardo Da Vinci: 30 Quotes by a Talented Genius Personality
- You Need To Read These 25 Truths By Galileo Galilei
- 30 Words Of Wisdom By The Great Scientist, Nikola Tesla
- 25 Life Lessons from Albert Einstein
- Albert Einstein - How I See the World
- 23 Quotes About Our Cosmos By The Astronomer Carl Sagan
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: 20 Quotes You Need To Read
- 22 Sigmund Freud's Quotes Will Make You Rethink Life
- 38 Most Memorable Quotes By Voltaire
- 39 Philosophical & Thought-Provoking Quotes By Albert Camus
- 42 Victor Hugo's Lessons to Make You Think
- 46 Mind-Blowing Quotes By Friedrich Nietzsche
- 30 Humanitarian Inspiring Quotes By Martin Luther King Jr.
- 30 Political and Philosophical Quotes By Noam Chomsky
- 18 Pictures of Shaolin Monks Training
- Ten Tips From A Shaolin Monk On How To Stay Young
- One Buddha Teaching That Will Tell You More About Yourself Than Anything Else
- 25 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Buddha
- Gandhi’s 10 Fundamentals: How To Change The World
- 28 Thought-Provoking Photo Quotes By Charles Bukowski
- 25 Life Changing Lessons To Learn From Rumi
- 25 Lessons From Khalil Gibran That Can Totally Transform Your Life