Lao-Tzu or Laozi was a philosopher and poet of ancient China (born in 571 BCE and lived during the Zhou Dynasty). He is best known as the reputed author of the Tao Te Ching and the founder of philosophical Taoism, but he is also revered as a deity in religious Taoism and traditional Chinese religions.
A central figure in Chinese culture, Lao-Tzu is claimed by both the emperors of the Tang dynasty and modern people of the Li surname as a founder of their lineage. Throughout history, Lao-Tzu's work has been embraced by various anti-authoritarian movements.
1) “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
2) “Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.” (Tao Te Ching)
3) The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
4) “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.”
5) “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
6) “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”
7) “Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”
8) “When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
9) “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”
10) “The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth.”
11) “The best fighter is never angry.”
12) “Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.”
13) “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
14) “A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.”
15) “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
16) “Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.”
17) “Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.”
18) “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.”
19) “At the center of your being
you have the answer;
you know who you are
and you know what you want.”
20) “Silence is a source of Great Strength.”
21) “Stop thinking, and end your problems.”
22) “If you understand others you are smart.
If you understand yourself you are illuminated.
If you overcome others you are powerful.
If you overcome yourself you have strength.
If you know how to be satisfied you are rich.
If you can act with vigor, you have a will.
If you don't lose your objectives you can be long-lasting.
If you die without loss, you are eternal.”
23) “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”
24) “Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?”
25) “Manifest plainness,
Have few desires.”
26) “The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.
27) “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”
28) “Act without expectation.”
29) “Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.”
30) “The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.”
31) “I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men.”
32) “To attain knowledge, add things everyday. To attain wisdom, remove things every day.”
33) “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.”
34) “Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment”
35) “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”
Lao Tzu(Laozi)'s Books:
- 37 Confucius' Quotes That Will Help You Understand The Chinese Philosophy
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
- Socrates Was One Of The Smartest People Ever Lived. Here Are 24 Out Of His Most Important Quotes That Everyone Needs To Read
- Socrates: The Test Of Three
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 17 Of Plato's Most Famous Quotes That Can Help Us Improve Our Lives
- This Animation Will Explain To You Plato's Philosophy In Almost 3 Minutes
- 40 Aristotle's Quotes That Will Make You Think And Can Change Your Life
- 40 Golden Words By Epictetus, The Ancient Greek Philosopher Who Was Born A Slave
- 12 Life Lessons from Jesus That Everyone Should Read Before They Die
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: 20 Quotes You Need To Read
- You Need To Read These 25 Truths By Galileo Galilei
- 38 Most Memorable Quotes By Voltaire
- 39 Philosophical & Thought-Provoking Quotes By Albert Camus
- 42 Victor Hugo's Lessons to Make You Think
- 46 Mind-Blowing Quotes By Friedrich Nietzsche
- 25 Life Lessons from Albert Einstein
- Albert Einstein - How I See the World
- 30 Words Of Wisdom By The Great Scientist, Nikola Tesla
- One Buddha Teaching That Will Tell You More About Yourself Than Anything Else
- 25 Life Changing Lessons to Learn from Buddha
- Gandhi’s 10 Fundamentals: How To Change The World
- 25 Life Changing Lessons To Learn From Rumi
- 10 Pieces Of Wisdom & Quotes From Native American Elders
- 10 Quotes From a Sioux Indian Chief That Will Make You Question Everything About Our Society
- 25 Lessons From Khalil Gibran That Can Totally Transform Your Life