Stephen Hawking Says We Should Really Be Scared Of Capitalism, Not Robots
"If machines produce everything we need, the outcome will depend on how things are distributed."
Machines won't bring about the economic robot apocalypse -- but greedy humans will, according to physicist Stephen Hawking.
In a Reddit Ask Me Anything session on Thursday, the scientist predicted that economic inequality will skyrocket as more jobs become automated and the rich owners of machines refuse to share their fast-proliferating wealth.
Stephen Hawking wrote on Thursday that if machine-produced wealth is not shared, technology will drive "ever-increasing inequality."
If machines produce everything we need, the outcome will depend on how things are distributed. Everyone can enjoy a life of luxurious leisure if the machine-produced wealth is shared, or most people can end up miserably poor if the machine-owners successfully lobby against wealth redistribution. So far, the trend seems to be toward the second option, with technology driving ever-increasing inequality.
Essentially, machine owners will become the bourgeoisie of a new era, in which the corporations they own won't provide jobs to actual human workers.
As it is, the chasm between the super rich and the rest is growing. For starters, capital -- such as stocks or property -- accrues value at a much faster rate than the actual economy grows, according to the French economist Thomas Piketty. The wealth of the rich multiplies faster than wages increase, and the working class can never even catch up.
But if Hawking is right, the problem won't be about catching up. It'll be a struggle to even inch past the starting line.
Source: Huffington Post
- These 3 Things Could Destroy The Human Civilization, Says Stephen Hawking
- Stephen Hawking's Universe - The Story of Everything, Time Travel, Aliens
- This Guy Just Explained Capitalism Absolutely Perfectly
- Pope Calls on World Youth to Rise Up Against Global Capitalism
- The Truth Behind Capitalism
- Two Cows Explain The World Economy Better Than Any Professor
- OECD: Germans are the laziest people in Europe. What about Greeks? (chart)
- Watch What The Spanish People Did For Greece!
- DEBTOCRACY International Version (Documentary)
- CATASTROIKA Privatization goes public (Documentary)
- 18 CEOs Called Out By Bernie Sanders For Taking Trillions In Bailouts, Evading Taxes, and Outsourcing Jobs
- These 10 Corporations Control Almost Everything You Buy
- The Corporation (2003) Award-winning Documentary
- The Money Masters (Documentary): How Banks Create Money Out Of Thin Air
- The American Dream - The Story of Your Enslavement
- Apologies Of An Economic Hitman (Documentary)
- Scientists Mapped 8000 Galaxies (Out Of Billions) & Made An Amazing Discovery
- Scientists Discover Another Earth!
Stephen Hawking Says We Should Really Be Scared Of Capitalism, Not Robots Reviewed by Truth Seeker on 9:29 AM Rating: