Pope Calls on World Youth to Rise Up Against Global Capitalism
'Make a mess, but then also help to tidy it up,' Argentinian pontiff said in address to Paraguay youth
The latest call for a youth uprising against global capitalism came not from grassroots groups, but from the leader of the Catholic Church, who on Sunday gave a rousing speech during which he told a crowd of young people in Paraguay that it is their time to “make a mess.”
The address marked the end of Pope Francis’ week-long pilgrimage to Latin America, during which he also assailed the prevailing economic system as the “dung of the devil,” saying that the systemic “greed for money” is a “subtle dictatorship” that “condemns and enslaves men and women.”
During Sunday’s rally, which was held on the banks of the Paraguay River outside the capital Asunción, the Argentinian pontiff went off-script as he addressed tens of thousands of local youth.
“They wrote a speech for me to give you. But speeches are boring,” Pope Francis said. “Make a mess, but then also help to tidy it up. A mess which gives us a free heart, a mess which gives us solidarity, a mess which gives us hope.”
He also encouraged those present to look at their less fortunate peers, some of whom he met earlier in the day during a visit to the Banado Norte shantytown, and spoke of the connection between authentic liberty and responsibility and the necessity of fighting for the right to lead a dignified life.
“We don’t want young weaklings. We do not want young people who tire quickly, who live life worn out with faces of boredom. We want youths with hope and strength,” Francis told the crowd.
Pope Francis’ South American visit comes just week after the release of his Papal Encyclical, which many hailed as a “radical statement,” in which he told leaders of the Catholic Church that there is a moral imperative for addressing climate change.
Source: Common Dreams via True Activist
- Pope Declares Evolution & Big Bang Theory Are Real & That ‘God Isn’t A Magician’
- This Guy Just Explained Capitalism Absolutely Perfectly
- #ThisIsACoup - Paul Krugman & Joseph Stiglitz about Germany's Killing of the European Project
- OECD: Germans are the laziest people in Europe. What about Greeks? (chart)
- Shocking Confession: "Crisis Has Led To 10.000 Suicides. The Last One Was My Son's" (Video)
- Why I will vote “NO” on the Greek referendum (Opinion)
- UN experts welcome Greek referendum, condemn IMF, EU and call for international solidarity
- Watch What The Spanish People Did For Greece!
- DEBTOCRACY International Version (Documentary)
- CATASTROIKA Privatization goes public (Documentary)
- Apologies Of An Economic Hitman (Documentary)
- The Money Masters (Documentary): How Banks Create Money Out Of Thin Air
- The Corporation (2003) Award-winning Documentary
- Owned & Operated - A film about Humanity and the World we've built for Ourselves
- The American Dream - The Story of Your Enslavement
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
Pope Calls on World Youth to Rise Up Against Global Capitalism Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 8:01 AM Rating: