We all want to find ‘the one’, that person who is our complete soulmate and who we can envisage sharing our entire lives with. Problem is, they’re very difficult to find. Have you found them?
Knowing someone is right for you extends much deeper than the butterflies in your stomach. It's both loving who that person is as a human being, and knowing they make you a better person, too.
The following 20 characteristics are signs that you've finally found true love.
1) You can be yourself around them.
With your love, you can show all the sides of you. The good, the bad and the "I’m hungover and haven’t showered in 3 days" ugly. It’s easy to be you with your person. You don’t feel like you have to hide your silly side, or quiet your personality down because your partner loves those special qualities about you. Nobody is perfect. You know you’ve met “the one” when he or she knows this and loves you for your imperfections.
2) You respect each other.
You don't want to change the essence of who he/she. There may be stuff that irritates you in everyday life, but you like them, plain and simple. And that's what they feel about you too. Respect is something difficult to find and it requires that you firstly have self-respect.
3) You support each other.
No matter how big your dreams may be or how crazy your cravings are at 2 am, he/she understands and supports it, even if he/she may not get it. When you’re up all hours of the night cramming for an exam or trying to meet a work deadline, they’ll be right by your side, cheering you on, making your third pot of coffee and rubbing your back when you need a 5-minute break.
4) You can make each other happy.
When there’s a deep connection between two people, they each know what the other wants and needs. So ask yourself this question about the person in your life: Do you know what it takes to make him or her happy? Think about minor, moment-by-moment issues, like where that person likes to eat and what kind of back rub he or she enjoys. Additionally, think about larger matters as well: Do you know how to help her relieve stress? Can you get her to talk about her dreams and visions for the future? When she’s struggling at work or with a family issue, can you help her come through the storm and find the sun again? And, just as important, does your partner know how to do this for you as well? If so, that’s another reason to believe that you’ve found “the one.”
5) Your communication is great.
The language you use with your partner is important. Open, honest communication is key. Make sure you are both able to have a balanced conversation where each person feels listened to. When you talk to your partner it should be kind and loving. Even in times of stress or conflict, the language between potential soulmates is calm. Each of you understands and supports the other.
6) You even communicate without speaking.
Soulmates can read each other like an open book. They connect fervently on every level of being. Your partner will stay close when you confide, give you their full attention and move in to answer to your needs, touching your hand when you are a little unsure, beaming and hugging you when you are glad, and tenderly comforting you when you are in pain.
7) It’s easy.
It's a myth that love is difficult. True love shouldn't be difficult. When you truly love somebody, everything is easy because you want it to be. There are no real sacrifices in true love, because your love is your priority. Here's what true love looks like.
8) You share the same life goals.
You’re both on the same page with values, ethics, and goals. You may have a different way of reaching those goals, but you both want the same end result.
9) You tease each other.
You can laugh and make fun of each other in ways other people can’t. This comes from both a sense of security as well as the understanding that you don’t have to be walking on eggshells with them all the time. You know when it’s time to let loose, and you are comfortable enough with them to let them see.
10) They've made you a better person.
The people who we are affected by the most are the ones who have changed us just by their presence in our lives overhauling everything we thought we knew and wanted. It’s not a bad thing, this is supposed to happen, usually. You need to learn from your relationship.
11) You are there for each other.
Your one should be the one who’s always there for you: day or night, rain or shine. He/she will never leave you to face your problems alone. He/she cares for you deeply: perhaps even more so than he/she cares for him/herself. Here are some extra signs to be sure.
12) You still miss each other when you're not together.
Rather than being glad of the space, you genuinely feel like you've been apart for years after leaving the house at different times in the morning and getting back to your normal routine without him by your side 24/7.
13) You have a strong attraction.
We’re not just talking about physical attraction but also emotional attraction. Sure, you may want to ravish each other, but you also feel an emotional connection. It’s as if when you’re together, you melt into each other. It’s a meeting of the mind, body, and soul.
14) They know how to compromise
Everyone can be stubborn. Often we’re satisfied with the way things are, and aren’t especially open to the idea that something needs to change. Of course, finding a woman or man who’s ready to compromise is only half the battle — you have to be ready as well. A successful relationship is built on compromise, and you have no choice but to accept this if you want it to last.
15) You have been together long term.
They say that the relationships that last the longest are the ones that are showered with the most attention. Deciding if your partner is “The One” is obviously made significantly clearer if you have been together long term. The longer you know someone, the more likely you will be able to determine if you belong together.
16) You truly love each other.
When you love someone and care about someone, you want to be better for yourself, but also for that person. When you want to have a future with someone, the person's health becomes your health. Your partner takes what you say with love. Words and actions should be one in the same, always. Through thick and thin, someone is going to love you whether you have makeup on or you don't. Because money comes and goes, friends come and go, life comes and goes.
17) You both know what you want.
That'a really important for a long-lasting relationship. If both of you are mature, then there is nothing to be afraid of. Because, if you both know what you want from your life and from your love, you need only one other thing: to want what the other person wants. That's the key to happiness in a relationship.
18) You have a great time together.
You’ve met other people for one-on-one drinks before and had a perfectly pleasant time. But you never imagined that you could have so much fun with someone on a night out until you met the One!
19) You share the same values.
You know you both want kids and expect to split the child care equally. Or maybe you know you both want kids and he wants to take extended paternity leave. Maybe you've also agreed that you should each get 45 minutes to yourself to go to the gym every day, or you plan to buy a home and move to the suburbs in five years. You know you're on the same page with things that matter most to you because you've discussed them.
20) You create together
There are a lot of couples that don’t do much together. It’s great just hanging out, watching movies and laying in bed; but how long can that last? Strong relationships have a shared core focus that can shift as you grow together. Doing creative activities together is an amazing way to bond with each other. When you see your significant other in a state of forward motion, it’s incredibly powerful. Passion is the push forward, the urge to continue, to progress and evolve. If you are your partner are in a state of creation, you are soulmates. I think these pictures illustrate exactly what I'm trying to say.
- Dating Then And Now: 8 Basic Differences That Should Make You Reconsider The Way You Flirt
- What Happens When People Realize How Their Loved Ones Rate Them
- They Asked These 2 Strangers The Same Questions. You'll Be In Tears By The End
- She Sat With Many Strangers That Day, But When This Man Shows Up I Got Goosebumps
- 10 Heartwarming Sketches About Love and Romance by Zac Retz!
- Korean Artist Beautifully Captures What Real Love Truly Looks Like
- Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With
- 8 crazy symptoms of being in love
- 10 Signs Of True Love
- This Hilarious Short Animated Film Shows Exactly What Happens In Your Mind When You Meet Your Crush
- The Pain Of Being In Love With Someone You Can Never Be With
- As I Began To Love Myself – Charlie Chaplin – A Beautiful Self Love Poem
- “Where there is love there is life!” -Mahatma Gandhi
- What Albert Einstein Taught Us About Love
- Brain Scans Show The Real Impact Love Has On A Child’s Brain
- What Self-Love Means: 20+ Ways to be Good to Yourself
- Research Mapping Human Emotions Shows Strong Mind Body Connection
- The Effect Of Positive Emotions On Our Health
- Social Science Says Lasting Relationships Come Down To 2 Basic Traits
- 18 Signs That You're In A Happy Relationship
- 20 Powerful Secrets to Meaningful Relationships
- Signs That Your Relationship Can Last
- 5 things you should do for yourself before getting into a relationship
- 5 Signs You’re in a Toxic or Draining Relationship
- 9 Good Signs That You’re In The Right Relationship
- When You’re In A Good Relationship, You Learn These 10 Things
- 10 Toxic Relationships Mentally Strong People Avoid
- 10 Signs You Have Found Your Soulmate
- The Four Types Of Friends According To The Buddha