If you’ve been to Los Angeles in the past five years or so, then you know just how much of a homeless problem the city has. What’s even worse is that so many of these homeless folks are veterans who once served our country.
In an effort to house these homeless veterans, the City of Los Angeles has a new plan to renovate old motels and hospitals, turning them into 500 new apartments for homeless veterans.
How will it work? First, developers purchase the rundown properties and build them into the efficiency apartments discussed above. Then, homeless veterans will use vouchers, gained from the Department of Veteran Affairs, to pay for their rent.
The vouchers given to the homeless vets expire after 15 years, and the deal is set up so that landlords will earn a profit as well. Not to mention, residents of these abodes are eligible for supportive services like case management and counseling.
This is easily recognizable as a step in the right direction after learning, from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, that there were 2,733 homeless veterans on any given night in the city last year.
“Instead of allowing blighted properties to decay, let’s use them to make powerful change in our communities by giving our veterans the access to services and housing that they need and deserve,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement.
The announcement of this new plan to help homeless veterans comes after the city failed to deliver on its promise to end veteran homelessness by the end of last year.
Source: Heart Centered Rebalancing
- Canadian Children Wrap Street Poles With Coats So That Homeless People Can Stay Warm
- 9-Year-Old Activist Packs 100 Bags With Food For The Homeless Every Week!
- Woman Purchases Entire Toy Store To Donate To Kids in Homeless Shelters
- This Billionaire is Giving Away 99% Of His Wealth, Funding Hi-Tech Sustainable Inventions for the Financially Weak
- Manchester United Football Stars Buy Hotel, Welcome Homeless To Stay For Winter
- This homeless boy sits next to a rich boy on a bench. Seconds later his nightmare comes true.e
- Homeless Man Steps Up To Piano And Stuns Crowd With Beautiful Performance
- Homeless People Were Asked To Write Down A Fact About Themselves. Their Answers May Surprise You
- Baltimore Restaurant Shuts Down For 5 Days To Feed The Homeless Free Food
- Teen Named Valedictorian – Shocks His Classmates When He Reveals He’s Homeless
- This Guy Hung An Offensive Sign Around His Neck To Make A Solid Point. Guess What… It Worked