Canadian Children Wrap Street Poles With Coats So That Homeless People Can Stay Warm
Tara Smith-Atkins from Nova Scotia, Canada, does something amazing every year to help people who need it. She reaches out to the local community and asks for donations of old clothes. She then distributes them on the streets so that homeless people can stay warm in the freezing winter days.
Smith-Atkins says she came up with the idea to deliver warm clothes to the streets when she together with her husband went to Toronto last December and saw how many people were in need.
“It was a little bit overwhelming and definitely unsettling the amount of poverty and homelessness there,” she told CBCnews.
This year, this wonderful woman mobilized a group of children to help her tie coats and other items of winter clothes to street poles in Halifax so that homeless people could easily find them.
Smith-Atkins called for people in the local community to donate coats and other warm clothing and got really great results in just a couple of weeks.
When enough clothes were collected, it was time to deliver them to the streets. Together with her 8-year-old daughter and seven of her friends, they dressed up street poles with coats, mittens and scarves.
Each item had a tag on it that was saying the following:
“I am not lost! If you are stuck out in the cold, please take me to keep warm!”
According to Smith-Atkins, this gesture was not only meant to help the homeless but also teach the kids an important lesson.
“They definitely learned the importance of it,” she mentioned. “When we got back in the car after an hour on the street, they were all freezing and crying for the heater to be on and complaining because they were cold. And they were bundled up.”
Smith-Atkins is planning to repeat a ‘coat drive’ next year. She also wants to put a $5 fast food voucher in each coat pocket so the homeless can get a hot meal.
Image credit: Tara Smith-Atkins
Based on: The Mind Unleashed
- 9-Year-Old Activist Packs 100 Bags With Food For The Homeless Every Week!
- Woman Purchases Entire Toy Store To Donate To Kids in Homeless Shelters
- This Billionaire is Giving Away 99% Of His Wealth, Funding Hi-Tech Sustainable Inventions for the Financially Weak
- Manchester United Football Stars Buy Hotel, Welcome Homeless To Stay For Winter
- This homeless boy sits next to a rich boy on a bench. Seconds later his nightmare comes true.e
- Homeless Man Steps Up To Piano And Stuns Crowd With Beautiful Performance
- Homeless People Were Asked To Write Down A Fact About Themselves. Their Answers May Surprise You
- Baltimore Restaurant Shuts Down For 5 Days To Feed The Homeless Free Food
- Teen Named Valedictorian – Shocks His Classmates When He Reveals He’s Homeless
- This Guy Hung An Offensive Sign Around His Neck To Make A Solid Point. Guess What… It Worked
Canadian Children Wrap Street Poles With Coats So That Homeless People Can Stay Warm Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 11:31 AM Rating: