What if you could totally transform your body in just four minutes? You probably think that it sounds too good to be true. However, with the 28-day Plank Challenge featured in Women Daily Magazine, you will see results by slowly training your body for endurance and strength. While it’s not exactly a quick fix, it is a slow progression toward amazing results.
Want to learn more about this challenge and what it does for your body? Read on to see what you can do for your body in just under a month.
The Plank Challenge must be completed in four weeks. At first, you simply start out in the plank position for 20 seconds. Easy, right? Slowly, you build up your stamina until you are planking for four minutes during the final days. Follow this plan:
Day 1 – 20 seconds
Day 2 – 20 seconds
Day 3 – 30 seconds
Day 4 – 30 seconds
Day 5 – 40 seconds
Day 6 – Rest
Day 7 – 45 seconds
Day 8 – 45 seconds
Day 9 – 60 seconds
Day 10 – 60 seconds
Day 11 – 60 seconds
Day 12 – 90 seconds
Day 13 – Rest
Day 14 – 90 seconds
Day 15 – 90 seconds
Day 16 – 120 seconds
Day 17 – 120 seconds
Day 18 – 150 seconds
Day 19 – Rest
Day 20 – 150 seconds
Day 21 – 150 seconds
Day 22 – 180 seconds
Day 23 – 180 seconds
Day 24 – 210 seconds
Day 25 – Rest
Day 26 – 210 seconds
Day 27 – 240 seconds
Day 28 – Until failure
How to Properly Plank
The key to getting great results comes down to perfecting the proper planking position. According to an article from Physical Living, this is how to do it:
1. Make sure that your arms are positioned correctly. Elbows should be directly under the shoulders to ensure proper weight distribution.
2. The spine should remain straight. Avoid rounding out your spine and putting unnecessary pressure on your neck and back.
3. Make sure to tighten your core so that it benefits from the exercise.
4. Keep your legs slightly spread. Pay attention to how your hips feel during the exercise. There should be no added pressure to the hip area. Adjust the distance between your feet as needed.
5. Your breathing should be slow and deliberate so that your core is fully engaged and your body is relaxed.
You may be wondering why the Planking Challenge makes for such a good workout plan. After all, the exercise seems a bit simplistic to be a full-body workout. However, it is just that. Here’s what planking does for your body:
1. Tones your stomach. As described above, planking involves using your core to stabilize your body and carry out the physical demands to maintain the proper planking position. The abdominal muscles are engaged during this workout. Over time, those muscles tone and tighten to give you a great-looking stomach.
2. Promotes good posture. Because your abs play a huge role in your ability to maintain good posture, planking can also be good for your balance and stability. Over time, you’ll be able to stand up straight and achieve a broader range of movement.
3. Increases flexibility. According to an article published by Mercola.com, your flexibility will improve as you work your back and shoulder muscles in the plank position. The shoulder blades will actually stretch, which promotes a better range of motion.
Who knew such a simple challenge could achieve such great results? Check out the video below for a total breakdown of how to do a proper plank. Share today to challenge your friends.
Sources: Women Daily Magazine, Physical Living, Mercola via Ideaspots
- This Exercise Is More Powerful Than 1,000 Sit-Ups: Spare 60 Seconds A Day And In Only A Month You Will Have A Flat Stomach
- These 7 Things Will Happen When You Start Doing Planks Every Day
- 9 Exercises to Burn Abdominal Fat In 14 Days
- 5 Effective and Easy Stretches That Will Burn Your Fat Out
- Do You Even Lift? Why Lifting Weights Is More Important For Your Health Than You Think
- 10 5-Minute Morning Rituals to Supercharge Your Mind, Body and Metabolism
- 7 Simple Yoga Stretches To Soothe Sciatica Back Pain (From Costa Rica)
- Top 10 Exercises to Strengthen Your Back and Reduce Back Pain
- 18 Easy Stretches In 18 Minutes To Help Reduce Back Pain
- WATCH: This Teen Had Severe Back Pain For Months, But One Trip To The Chiropractor Changed His Life
- The Perfect Exercise For Poor Body Posture
- 6 Bad Postures That Are Ruining Your Health & How To Correct Them
- How To Fix Common Body Problems By Sleeping In The Right Position
- The Dangers of Sitting For Too Long (Infographic)
- Spine Deformation Alert!
- Scientific Study Finds Eating Coconut Oil Daily Leads to Reduction in Waist Size
- A Glass Of Red Wine Can Replace An Hour Of Exercising According To New Study
- Napping can Dramatically Increase Learning, Memory, Awareness, and More
- Alternative Sleep Cycles: 7-10 Hours Are Not Needed
- Why Dehydration Is Making You Fat And Sick
- 21 Health Tricks To Teach Your Body
- Exercise AND Wash Laundry With This Amazing Eco-Friendly Bicycle
- 60 Minutes On This Bicycle Can Power Your Home For 24 Hours!