The following devastating photos picture Syria before and after Daesh.
A year after it was taken by Daesh, the Syrian city of Palmyra was recently retaken Syrian forces backed by Russian airstrikes. Previously home to many of the world’s most treasured historical sites, many artifacts were destroyed by the Islamist forces in an anti-iconoclastic purge.
Joseph Eid is a photographer for AFP news agency who photographed the site just two years ago and decided to post before-and-after images of the damage.
“Of course the Temple of Bel will never be the same,” Syria’s antiquities director, Mamoun Abdulkarim, told the Times Of Israel. “According to our experts, we will definitely be able to restore a third of the destroyed cella, or maybe even more if we carry out additional studies with UNESCO’s help…I invite archaeologists and experts everywhere to come work with us because this site is part of the heritage of all humanity.”
Temple of Bel, destroyed in September 2015
The Temple of Bel dated back to 32AD
Security officials at the Temple of Bel
The Temple of Baal Shamin seen used to be visible through these two columns
The remains of Temple of Bel’s “Cella”
Ruins of a statue in the Palmyra museum
Picture taken in the Palymra museum showing defaced sculptures
- Syrian Crisis: Five Years In 60 Seconds
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Triple terror: Up to 60 killed, 80 wounded, 3 car bombs explode in Syrian Christian town
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- Banksy reminds the world that Steve Jobs was a son of a Syrian migrant
- Edward Norton Helps Raise Nearly $400,000 for Syrian Refugees
- Photographer Reveals The Heartbreaking Places Syrian Refugee Children Sleep
- Saudi Arabia Has Enough Tents With A/C To House 3 Million People, Yet Has Taken In ZERO Refugees
- Artists Around The World Respond To Tragic Death Of 3-Year-Old Syrian Refugee
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees