Stunning New Evidence Reveals Ancient Greek Contact with China 1,500 Years Earlier than Believed; Famed Chinese Warrior Statues were Influenced by Greeks
Up to now, it was Marco Polo who was credited as being one of the first Westerners to reach China, document his travels extensively and help begin contact between East and West. But now, that conventional history has been shattered, following new evidence that links the Ancient Greeks with the far-away Chinese empires by more than 1,500 years before Marco Polo.
What’s even more fascinating is that China’s most important archaeological site— the massive complex of terracotta warriors— more than 8,000 life-sized statues “protecting” a grave of the First Emperor— were made with the help of the Ancient Greeks.
The 8,000 statues— guardians of the mausoleum of China’s First Emperor, are now believed to have been made under the guidance of a European sculptor who worked with locals at the site and took strong influence from Ancient Greece, according to Dr Li Xiuzhen, Senior Archaeologist at the Emperor Qin Shihuang’s Mausoleum Site Museum, who spoke to the UK’s Independent about his findings.
“We now have evidence that close contact existed between the First Emperor’s China and the West before the formal opening of the Silk Road. This is far earlier than we formerly thought, adding that “We now think the Terracotta Army, the Acrobats and the bronze sculptures found on site have been inspired by ancient Greek sculptures and art”.
Other experts agree, as does recently found DNA evidence.
Professor Lukas Nickel, chair of Asian Art History at the University of Vienna, believes the tomb of the First Emperor was influenced by the arrival of Greek statues in Central Asia in the century following Alexander the Great.
“I imagine that a Greek sculptor may have been at the site to train the locals,” Nickel said.
Separate studies have revealed European-specific mitochondrial DNA that has been found in the region, confirming that Westerners may have settled, lived and died there before and during the time of the First Emperor.
Numerous experts have also pointed out that no other tradition of creating life-sized human statues existed in China before the tomb with the Terracotta Warriors was created. Earlier statues were simple figurines about 8 inches in height.
Furthermore, the similarities have always been drawn between the Ancient Greek Kouros statues— their posture and stature, with those of the Chinese statues.
Source: Pappas Post
- A Decade Of Work Has Decoded This Ancient Greek Astronomy "Computer"
- This Mysterious 2,100-Year-Old Mechanism Is the World’s First Computer
- Unbelievable inventions by ancient Greeks that remained unexplained until the 20th century
- (Photos) “Be Cheerful, Enjoy Your Life” Says 2,400 Year Old Ancient Greek Mosaic Found in Turkey
- Aristotle's 2,400-year-old tomb was discovered in Macedonia, according to archaeologists
- (Photos) Jerusalem Dig Uncovers Massive Ancient Greek Citadel
- Greco-Buddhism: All You Need To Know
- DNA Reveals Origin of Crete’s Ancient Minoan People
- How many statues can fit in a palace? Here is the secret treasure of the ancient Greek sculptures that belonged to the Italian aristocratic Torlonia family
- Ancient Greeks discovered America, according to an Italian university professor
- 10 Famous Greek Words You Use Everyday
- How To Build A Fake Ancient City In Just 5 Years
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- On This Day May 19, 1919: Ataturk Begins Onslaught Against Pontian Greeks
- Turkey’s Continued Siege of Constantinople: Insulting Celebration of Greek Bloodshed on May 29
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- 40 Aristotle's Quotes That Will Make You Think And Can Change Your Life
- Socrates Was One Of The Smartest People Ever Lived. Here Are 24 Out Of His Most Important Quotes That Everyone Needs To Read
- Socrates: The Test Of Three
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 17 Of Plato's Most Famous Quotes That Can Help Us Improve Our Lives
- This Animation Will Explain To You Plato's Philosophy In Almost 3 Minutes
- 40 Golden Words By Epictetus, The Ancient Greek Philosopher Who Was Born A Slave
- 30 Precious Life Lessons By 10 Ancient Greek Philosophers
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
Stunning New Evidence Reveals Ancient Greek Contact with China 1,500 Years Earlier than Believed; Famed Chinese Warrior Statues were Influenced by Greeks Reviewed by Κατερίνα Παπακυριακοπούλου on 5:25 AM Rating: