How do you get to school each day? Perhaps your parents drive you, you walk a few blocks on solid concrete, or you take the air conditioned bus with leather seats and 100% protection against the elements. These are the normal means of transportation to school that make your life so much easier but are often taken for granted.
School is important all over the world, including areas where paved roads and public transportation do not exist. Children living in rural or poverty-ridden areas face a much more treacherous trek to school each morning, but somehow these inspirational kids get up the courage and strength to make the trip day after day.
What if it took you 5 hours to travel to school each way, would you be willing to make the trip? Children in Gula, China do it. And they are not the only students around the world willing to face a few risks in order to reap the rewards of an education.
Here we detail 20 of the most dangerous and unusual journeys students must take in order to make it to class on time.
Zhang Jiawan Village, Southern China
Children must climb up unsecured wooden ladders in order to reach school in this rural region of China.
Children must travel along a narrow path that measures only 1 foot wide for 5-hours in order to attend a remote school in Gula, China.
Zanskar, Indian Himalayas
Kids have to be good at hiking to make it to school tucked away in the Himalayas. But since it’s a boarding school at least they don’t have to make the exhausting trip often.
Children walk, or rather climb, across a damaged suspension bridge to get to school.
After these photos went viral, PT Krakutau Steel, Indonesia’s largest producer of steel, stepped in and built a beautiful new bridge. The children now enjoy a much safer commute to school.
Rio Negro River, Columbia
Children glide accross an 800m steel cable hitched 400m off the ground.
A group of schoolgirls use a thin plank as a bridge to cross The 16th century Galle Fort located in the heart of Sri Lanka.
Imagine taking a canoe to school, it’s real life for students in Riau.
The roots of this giant tree have created the most beautiful of natural bridges. Thanks to this act of nature, these children have a pathway to school.
See more living root bridges
Children on a “Tuktuk” travel to school with backpacks in tow.
While this may look like the most difficult part of the journey, it is only one small stretch of the total 125-mile journey these children make through the mountains on their way to boarding school.
These children rely on a bus with a lot of horse power–in fact this cart full of kids is being pulled by a horse.
Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
These children are educated and trained for the circus. On their way to and from school they must scale across a tightrope suspended 30 feet above a river.
Forget about riding the bus, this little girl rides her bull to school!
Sichuan Province, China
Even in the frigid snowy weather a broken bridge must make do if this little girl, bundled up in pink, wants to make it to school.
Boating to school sounds like a nice way to start and end your day.
This wooden boat is packed full up to the roof before heading off to school.
Cilangkap Village, Indonesia
In order to attend school across the Ciherang River, bamboo rafts were made into a makeshift bridge. Just make sure to wear your rain boots!
Rizal Province, Philippines
River tubing isn’t just for summer vacation, these children use inflated tire tubes to get to school across the river.
Dennis M. Sabangan/EPA
Sources: Earth Porm, Amazing Planet
- 16 Children & Their Bedrooms From Around the World…
- Ultimate Collection Of Rare Historical Photos. A Big Piece Of History (200 Pictures)
- 64 Historical Pictures you most likely haven’t seen before. # 8 is a bit disturbing!
- The 63 Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken That Perfectly Capture The Human Experience
- 52 Photos Of Women Who Changed History Forever
- 46 Unbelievable Photos That Will Shock You
- 40 Must-See Photos From The Past
- 40 Animals You May Not Have Known Existed
- Workspaces Of Some Of The Greatest Artists Of The World (38 Pictures)
- 35 Moments Of Violence That Brought Out Incredible Human Compassion
- 30 Of The Most Powerful Images Ever
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- 25 Photos Of People Who Will Inspire You
- 24 Rare Historical Photos That Will Leave You Speechless
- Unbelievable...These 23 Mind Blowing Facts Will DESTROY Your Understanding Of Time
- These 22 People From Around The World Will Leave You Speechless
- These 20 Photographs Will Leave You Speechless. Especially The 11th One. There Are No Words.
- 18 Pictures of Shaolin Monks Training
- Rarest Historical Photos, That you can Never Forget.