New Zealand Now Recognizes ALL Animals As Sentient Beings!
A laughing owl. Flickr, by merec0
A landmark decision by the Kiwis sets a precedent that other countries should follow.
New Zealand has just set a great example to the world by recognizing what animal lovers have known forever- that our furry friends are as sentient as we are, and (obviously, dur) they have feelings just like we do. It’s a theme we have covered time and again here at True Activist, but this landmark ruling by NZ is the first time this shift in perception and policy has been extended to all animals, not just chimpanzees, orangutans, or dolphins.
The Animal Welfare Amendment Bill, passed last month, aims to make it easier to prosecute people in animal cruelty cases, as well as banning animal testing and research.
Animal rights activists have celebrated the decision. “To say that animals are sentient is to state explicitly that they can experience both positive and negative emotions, including pain and distress,” said Dr Virginia Williams, chair of the National Animal Ethics Advisory Committee. “The explicitness is what is new and marks another step along the animal welfare journey.”
New Zealand Veterinary Association president Dr Steve Merchant said the bill greater clarity, transparency and enforceability of animal welfare laws, according to the country’s regional newspaper the Nelson Mail.
“Expectations on animal welfare have been rapidly changing, and practices that were once commonplace for pets and farm stock are no longer acceptable or tolerated,” he said. “The bill brings legislation in line with our nation’s changing attitude on the status of animals in society.”
You can read the entire Bill here. Let’s hope the rest of the world follows suit!
Source: True Activist
- Circus Lion Freed From Cage Feels Earth Beneath His Paws For First Time
- Elephant Cries Tears Of Joy After Being Released From 50 Years Of Captivity
- Disturbing Aerial Photos Show What Killing Billions Of Animals For Meat Is Doing To The Environment
- What if Animals Treated Us How We Treat Them?
- 11 Thought Provoking Images Show What Humans Are Really Doing To The Planet
- You Will Want To Recycle Everything After Seeing These Photos!
- This Film Should Be Seen By The Entire World!
- Seed Bombers Can Plant An Entire Forest of 900,000 Trees A Day!
- Shocking Effects Of Deforestation Exposed In Brutal Print Ads
- Costa Rica Becomes The FIRST Nation To Ban Hunting!
- Ecuador Just Set The World Record For Reforestation!
- Bolivia Gives Legal Rights To The Earth
- This Indian Man Planted an Entire Forest by Hand
- How India is Creating 300,000 Jobs AND Planting 2 Billion More Trees
- Everything Wrong With Humanity, In A Short Animated Film
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- The Earth is a Sentient Living Organism
- Earth is Alive! Beautiful... Finite... Hurting... Worth Dying for!
- 4 Minutes That Will Change Your Life
- Possibly the Most Eye Opening 6 Minutes Ever on Film
- Gray whale dies bringing us a message — with stomach full of plastic trash
- Longest Floating Structure In History Sets Out To Clean The Ocean In 2016!
- Floating Seawer Skyscraper Rids The World’s Oceans Of Plastic While Generating Clean Energy
- Paradise or Oblivion (Documentary) - The Venus Project
New Zealand Now Recognizes ALL Animals As Sentient Beings! Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 7:33 PM Rating: