This is a touching story of an elephant named Raju who was chained and in captivity for his entire life -50 years. Just recently, wildlife experts, police, vets and Forestry Commission officers set him free.
What is so touching is that during the rescue, just when he was very close to being rescued, Raju began to cry tears of joy. Raju was abused and tortured by his owners for much of his life. Something that many elephants in captivity experience during their lives. Tears rolled down the face of Raju as it sunk in that 50 years of captivity had come to an end.
Raju was in chains 24 hours a day, an act of intolerable cruelty. The team were astounded to see tears roll down his face during the rescue. It was incredibly emotional. We knew in our hearts he realized he was being freed.
Raju’s owners were not willing to give up Raju regardless of how many were aware of the torturous conditions he was in. Finally rescuers had enough and took action. They needed to perform a sneak attack rescue at night to make it happen.
Why Do We Treat Animals The Way We Do?
What does this say about what animals feel? This certainly isn’t the first time animals have reacted in unbelievable ways when being released from captivity. In one instance, cows were set free after being in captivity for years and their reaction was nothing short of amazing.
Just recently, mainstream science fully recognized that animals are conscious beings. This is a great step in pushing ideas that get us thinking more about why we treat animals the way we do and how much suffering we put them through. Whether it is factory farming, circus acts or keeping animals in unnecessary captivity, we do so much to animals that is barbaric and completely unnecessary given what we have available to us today. What will it take for us to stop?
It is inspiring though to see stories like this where animals are finally being treated how we all know they should deep down inside.
Sources: WildLifeSOS, Collective Evolution
Photo credit: Kirby Sattler
- He Refused To Watch This Bear Drown, So He Went In After It
- This Abused Starved Dog Was Thrown Down A Trash Chute. Then A Miracle Happened!
- An Injured Dolphin Approached this Diver for Help. Then This Happened
- He Was Found Freezing And Dying. Yet Somehow The Last Photo Made My Entire Year
- She Told The Chimp She Had Lost Her Baby. What The Chimp Did Next Was Unexpected.
- This man tried to test the chimps' intelligence, however the chimps tested the man’s humanity!
- 2 Monkeys Were Paid Unequally. Watch What Happened Next
- The Experiment
- The Appearances Experiment