Are You Thinking Powerfully?
“In my experience, a lot of leaders think “positive thinking” is about thinking happy rah-rah or touchy-feely thoughts or re-framing a thought to make it sound positive, for example changing the word “sh—“ to “fertilizer.” Or they think of that Stuart Smalley character on Saturday Night Live who made positive affirmations in the mirror. (I don’t want to be that guy!)
That’s why I don’t use the term positive thinking, coined the term powerful thinking, and developed the Managing Thought® process. Because to me, positivity isn’t about getting rid of the negative thoughts we have and replacing them with positive thoughts. It is about being aware of the 60,000 thoughts our brains present to us every day – one a second – and choosing to hold thoughts that are in alignment with who we aspire to be and what we truly wish to create – as leaders and as organizations.
In my experience, most of our thoughts are based in fear, focused on what we don’t want vs. what we do want – and we don’t even know it.
When we think about the time we don’t have enough of, the opportunities we don’t have, the customer we lost, the payments we can’t afford, the sacrifices and cuts we have to make, cash we don’t have, customers who aren’t buying, banks who won’t lend, the decisions we are forced to make, and the competition we’re up against, we are not thinking powerfully.
When we think that we don’t want to be viewed as a commodity, the economy is bad, my organization isn’t innovative, my people aren’t engaged, or that I don’t like this or that about my employees or suppliers, again, we are not thinking powerfully.
When we think thoughts of fear, self-doubt, worry, criticism, judgment, anger, frustration, anxiety, negativity and other disempowering fight, flight or freeze thoughts, we are not thinking powerfully. And when we think about surviving, we are not thinking powerfully, because we want to thrive.
When we think powerfully, we are thinking thoughts of vision and purpose, wonder and possibility, focused on what we want, on what truly matters. Our thoughts are inspired, creative, and impactful.
Most of us have not thought about our thoughts. We have no idea what we are thinking in each moment. We have taught ourselves to turn our power to think and to create our reality over to our brains.
Yet we have the ability to pay attention to our thoughts. We always have a choice to focus on what matters and think in powerful ways which affects our ideas, our decisions, and our results. This awareness creates stillness in this fast-paced, ever-changing world and affects how we inspire others, how we lead, what we create from any situation, producing a distinct competitive advantage.
It is time for us to take back our power, to stop re-acting, and start choosing thoughts that serve us in our lives, our relationships, our organizations, our communities, and, through the ripple effect, the world.
How are you using your 60,000 thoughts today?”
- Sapiosexuality: Why Some of Us are Attracted Purely by Intelligence (backed by science, of course)
- Emotional Intelligence: Is It More Important than your IQ?
- Social Anxiety May Be Associated with High IQ and Empathetic Ability>
- From Darwin To Einstein: How Did Brilliant Minds Spend Their Everyday Lives?
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- 15 Facts About Creative People
- 19 qualities of creative people
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 15 Things Only Highly Sensitive People Do
- Alone Isn’t Lonely: 10 Signs You’re Perfectly Happy With Solitude
- 25 traits of mentally strong people
- 13 things mentally strong people don’t do
- 7 lies that prevent you from succeeding in life
- Even the smartest people forget these 7 basic truths
- 7 Things to Remember When You Think You’re Not Good Enough
- 13 Things to Remember When Life Gets Rough
- 13 things mentally strong people don’t do
- 15 Things Highly Confident People Don’t Do
- 20 Signs It’s Time To Let Go & Move On
- 25 Signs You’re Succeeding At Life (Even If It Doesn’t Feel Like It)
- 29 Signs You’re Doing Just Fine (Even If It Doesn’t Feel Like It)
- The Effect Of Positive Emotions On Our Health
- 11 Ways to Live a Happier Life, According to a Psychologist (Hint: These have nothing to do with money!)
- 5 Mind Hacks to Better Manage Your Attitude
- 6 Signs You Are Actually Maturing, Not Just Aging
- 7 Ways to Better Listen to Your Intuition
- 8 Ways To Take Control Back Over Your Mind
- 15 Tips For Empaths And Highly Sensitive People
- 21 Habits of Happy People
- 99 Interesting Quotes That Will Change How You See The World
Are You Thinking Powerfully? Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 9:56 PM Rating: