Research Reveals Intelligent People Stay up Later, Do More Drugs and Have More Sex
What image do you have in your mind when thinking about intelligence? Most likely, you will imagine a student who spends a good portion of their time studying or a nerdy professor whose entire life is devoted to science.
However, recent research suggests that in reality intelligence has a very little to do with these stereotypes often perpetuated by the masses. In fact, three different studies show that intelligent people tend to stay up later, do more drugs and have more sex. Though it is not always the case, and correlation doesn’t always imply causation. Anywho, here are the studies:
1. Intelligent and Sleep
A study published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences analyzed over 20,000 people and concluded that individuals with higher IQ levels have different circadian rhythms, or sleep cycles, compared to people with an average intelligence. It’s worth noting that the study focused on both adults and children and showed the same result for both categories – it turns out that individuals with high IQs, regardless of the age, tend to sleep and wake up about half an hour later than those with lower IQ levels.
The link between intelligence and sleep cycles has to do with the hypothesis that smart people are more likely to adopt evolutionarily novel (i.e. new) behaviors than less intelligent individuals, and nocturnal activity is a perfect example of such behavior. Our early ancestors, most likely, were active during the day and slept during the night.
The paper also mentions an earlier study which suggests that intelligent people are more likely to be freethinkers with liberal and atheistic views.
2. Intelligent and Drugs
An even more surprising finding on intelligent people is the fact that they are more likely to experiment with drugs. According to a study conducted by the National Child Development, children with high IQs in the United Kingdom are more likely to consume psychoactive drugs in their adult years than those with lower IQs. At the same time, the background a person comes from, such as the social class at birth or parents’ education, doesn’t matter at all.
Moreover, it’s not the only study that came to the conclusion that smart people do more drugs. Thus, a study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health revealed that people who achieved high scores in IQ tests as children were more likely to experiment with illegal substances as grown-ups.
Another study published in the Annals of Epidemiology also found that intelligent children tended to experiment with such drugs as cannabis, amphetamines, and magic mushrooms in their adulthood.
3. Intelligent and Sex
Another curious discovery about intelligent people comes from the UK, where researchers revealed that young people who studied at universities like Oxford and Cambridge spent more money on sex toys than students at ‘lower-ranked’ universities. It’s needless to say how difficult is to get admitted to the world’s top universities, so it makes sense that most of their students are people of high intelligence.
How do the study authors explain this correlation between a higher intelligence and an increased sex drive? A possible explanation could be the fact that sex is a natural stress reliever, and the students take advantage of it to lower their stress levels, which go along with a high performance required at such prestigious institutions.
As you see, intelligent people turn out to have quite different habits and lifestyles from what we thought. Of course, the results of these studies don’t imply that all smart people are night owls who do drugs and use sex toys. But still, studies like these are interesting already because they break common stereotypes and give us the opportunity to look at things from a different perspective.
Why else do you think this is? Could it be that intelligent people tend to recognize the ills of society more so than their counterparts, and use sex and drugs as a coping mechanism? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Source: The Mind Unleashed
- 10 Traits Of A Person With High Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence: Is It More Important than your IQ?
- Are You Emotionally Intelligent? Find Out Your EQ
- The 9 Types of Multiple Intelligences - Which "Smart" Are You?
- What's Your Dominant Intelligence?
- Is Your Brain Logical Or Creative?
- What's YOUR Brain Age?
- How Much Common Sense Do You Have?
- Social Anxiety May Be Associated with High IQ and Empathetic Ability
- People Who Talk To Themselves Aren’t Crazy, They’re Actually Geniuses
- 10 Things That Have a Damaging Effect on the Brain
- Here's What Happens To Your Brain When You Nap
- 6 Common Lies Our Brains Tell Us
- Are You Thinking Powerfully?
- Sapiosexuality: Why Some of Us are Attracted Purely by Intelligence (backed by science, of course)
- From Darwin To Einstein: How Did Brilliant Minds Spend Their Everyday Lives?
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
- 30 Precious Life Lessons By 10 Ancient Greek Philosophers
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- Socrates Was One Of The Smartest People Ever Lived. Here Are 24 Out Of His Most Important Quotes That Everyone Needs To Read
- Socrates: The Test Of Three
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 17 Of Plato's Most Famous Quotes That Can Help Us Improve Our Lives
- This Animation Will Explain To You Plato's Philosophy In Almost 3 Minutes
- 40 Aristotle's Quotes That Will Make You Think And Can Change Your Life
Research Reveals Intelligent People Stay up Later, Do More Drugs and Have More Sex Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 6:04 PM Rating: