You know that tiny feel-good button between a woman’s legs? That’s the clitoris and, speaking figuratively, it’s anything but tiny. In fact, it’s a powerful organ of sexual pleasure that comes complete with a surprising number of fun facts.
Did you know that 29% of college women are unable to locate the clitoris on an anatomy diagram?
(Compared to ONLY 25% of their male counterparts!)
Could you imagine college students being unable to locate the penis on an anatomy diagram? That’s unheard of…
70-80% of women reach orgasm via clitoral stimulation alone, so without this pleasure-giving organ, women be SOL when it comes to orgasms.
It’s Bigger Than You Think
Did you know that Marie Bonaparte—great-grandniece to the Napoleon Bonaparte— had her clitoris surgically moved? Not removed (thank goodness), but moved. Closer to her vagina, that is. The reason was simple. Like many women, she couldn’t orgasm from vaginal sex. At the time there was—and still is—evidence that if the space between the clitoris and vaginal opening is less than an inch, a woman is more likely to be able to orgasm through penetrative sex alone.
The sad part, for Bonaparte at least, is that the surgery didn’t work.
Here’s what she didn’t know: Only one quarter of the clitoris is visible. The rest of it is inside the body, which means this organ can’t really be picked up and moved. The clitoris is made up of many different parts, including the clitoral head, the hood the clitoral shaft, the urethral sponge, erectile tissue, glands, vestibular bulbs and the crura (or the clitoral legs). Only the clitoral head and the hood are located outside the body.
The clitoris grows throughout a woman’s life
After menopause, the clitoris can become 2.5 times larger than it was when the same woman was a teenager. I don’t think that there has been an actually study about clitoris size in relation to pleasure. And I don’t think that women have a size thing about their clitoris, the way men do around penis size. I have never ever met a woman who has measured her clitoris, but I have met men who have measured their penis.
It’s Exquisitely Sensitive
The clitoris contains at least 8,000 sensory nerve endings. To put that into perspective, the penis has about 4,000. That makes this tiny area the most sensitive part of a woman’s erogenous zone. And while the clitoris is quite small, its powerful sensations can spread across a woman’s pelvic area by affecting 15,000 other nerve endings.
THE CLITORIS IS REALLY A PENIS!
The clitoris comes from the same embryonic tissue as a penis. During the development phase (approximately 12 weeks), the genitalia decide whether or not they’re going to become a penis or labia based on the chromosomes it was dealt. It’s components are similar to a penis as well… it has a glans, a foreskin (aka the hood), erectile tissue, and a tiny shaft.
It’s Only There for the Sex
A woman’s body includes a number of super-hot erogenous zones, but you might say many of those are sort of, well, incidental. Not the clit. It’s there for fun. Yup, that’s right. The clitoris is the only part of the body designed solely for pleasure. So, while other body parts used for sexual pleasure have at least one other purpose to them, your clit is just there to get you off.
If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it!
If the clitoris goes unused, it will retreat into the body and the hood will fuse closed, known as clitoral atrophy. Just like every other tissue in the body, the clitoris requires blood flow to stay happy and healthy. So whatever you do – give your clitoris some love at least a few times a week.
They’re All Different
Some are small, some are big, some are hidden and some protrude rather a lot. Some increase in size when aroused, and others hide under the hood. Some require a lot of pressure, others prefer a very gentle touch. Each little love bud is as unique as the woman attached to it. That’s important, too, because getting to know how it works and how to use it to produce pleasure is just a part of getting to know yourself, or your lover.
Sources: Alternet | Dr Shelly Persad | Huffington Post & The Open Mind
- Sex and Aural Energy
- 16 Reasons To Have Daily Sex
- Research Reveals Intelligent People Stay up Later, Do More Drugs and Have More Sex
- 8 crazy symptoms of being in love
- This Hilarious Short Animated Film Shows Exactly What Happens In Your Mind When You Meet Your Crush
- Research Mapping Human Emotions Shows Strong Mind Body Connection
- The Effect Of Positive Emotions On Our Health
- 5 Signs You’re in a Toxic or Draining Relationship
- 9 Good Signs That You’re In The Right Relationship
- When You’re In A Good Relationship, You Learn These 10 Things
- 10 Toxic Relationships Mentally Strong People Avoid
- 10 Signs You Have Found Your Soulmate
- Does The Soul Exist?
- 7 Differences Between Religion and Spirituality
- The Four Types Of Friends According To The Buddha
- 5 Things Everyone Should Know About Introverts
- 6 Signs You Could Be a Highly Sensitive Person
- 6 Signs You Are Actually Maturing, Not Just Aging
- 7 Ways to Better Listen to Your Intuition
- 8 Ways To Tell if You’re A Truly Compassionate Person
- 9 Reasons You Need To Be Giving and Receiving Hugs Everyday
- 11 Ways to Live a Happier Life, According to a Psychologist (Hint: These have nothing to do with money!)
- 15 Tips For Empaths And Highly Sensitive People
- 15 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself
- 21 Habits of Happy People
- 102 Habits for Positive Living