Isn't amazing that we can capture any moment in a picture? The following photos show important historical facts that would have remained lost in the past had it not been for a photographer who was at the right place the right time. There are also many rare documents.
1. Two german soldiers with kittens (1943)
2. This picture of the Reichstag was taken after the end of the war, and shows the extent to which the building was damaged.
3. Adolf Hitler and Blondi on the balcony of The Berghof (1942)
4. Black children watching as white children play in a whites only park (1956)
5. FBI mugshot of Henry Hill (1980)
6. Shadows are cast beneath the Brooklyn Bridge, seen from a stable roof, on May 6, 1918.
7. Ash Wednesday bushfires on the 16th of February 1983 in Australia. This photo was taken near Macedon, Victoria. Over a million acres burned on the day and 75 fatalities.
8. Oct.23,1983,a suicide truck-bombing at Beirut International Airport in Lebanon killed 241 U.S. Marines and sailors;a near-simultaneous attack on French forces killed 58 paratroopers.British soldiers give a hand in rescue operations at the site of the bomb-wrecked U.S. Marine command center.
9. 1920s Speed Limit Sign.
10. A wounded Vietminh prisoner is given first aid by Franco Vietnamese medics after firefight near Hung Yen, south of Hanoi, Vietnam (1954)
11. First photograph of the moon by Louis Daguerre (1839)
12. Sailors on the USS Hartford. Many of these men could have sailed with Farragut at New Orleans, Vicksburg and Mobile Bay during the Civil War.
13. French soldiers digging a trench during the First Battle of the Marne- WW1
14. A deep sea diver is captured mid-jump. The cover of Scientific American Supplement on October 23, 1915
15. Underground German Heinkel 162 aircraft development facility WWII era
16. Belgian light artillery towed by dog teams, Western Front 1914.
17. Israeli officers captured by Syrian troops during the Yom Kippur War are presented to the media, October 1973.
18. Williamsburg Bridge Approach, New York City. Bridge opened Dec. 19, 1903.
19. Italian POW after the battle of Caporetto, 1917
20. Newstand NYC. The internet of the 50s. Photo by Vivian Maier 1954.
21. 1930 Arrowhead Monument Dedication Honoring the Peace Between the Natives and Pioneers in Old Fort, NC.
22. Times Square, NYC 1922.
23. Daguerreotype of a woman, 1850's
24. A French soldier feeding his kitten, Indochina, 1956.
25. Apollo 7 astronauts Walter M. Schirra, Jr., Donn F. Eisele, and R. Walter Cunningham stand on recovery ship USS Essex after returning from an 11-day mission in space (October 22, 1968).
26. Emmett Kelly, the original "sad clown" rushes to help put out one of the worst fire disasters in US history - The Hartford circus fire. (1944)
27. Woman's suffrage parade in NYC on Oct. 23, 1915.
28. Astrodome under construction, 1964.
29. 1995, Chechnya, a soldier tries to warm himself.
30. Spanish Navy prisoners of war arriving at Seavey's Island, Maine in 1898.
31. Circus elephants Kiri and Many move a wrecked car from a bombed out garage in Hamburg, 1945.
32. Richard Nixon and LBJ meet at the White House before Nixon's nomination, July 1968.
33. Lincoln, Nebraska in Color in 1942 by John Vachon.
34. The People's Republic of China detonates its first successful atomic bomb on 16 October 1964, joining the United States, the Soviet Union, Great Britain and France in the "A-bomb club".
35. 1943 - Women "Burners" Working In Defense Industry, Using Acetylene Torches to Bevel Armor Plate For Tanks At Gary Steel Works, Gary, IN.
36. Wall Street during the bank panic in 1907.
Image source: Reddit
- These 20 Photographs Will Leave You Speechless. Especially The 11th One. There Are No Words.
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- 30 Of The Most Powerful Images Ever
- 35 Moments Of Violence That Brought Out Incredible Human Compassion
- The 63 Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken That Perfectly Capture The Human Experience
- 64 Historical Pictures you most likely haven’t seen before. # 8 is a bit disturbing!
- Ultimate Collection Of Rare Historical Photos. A Big Piece Of History (200 Pictures)
- The man who stopped World War III