Leonardo DiCaprio’s Golden Globe Acceptance Speech For The First Nations & Indigenous People Of The World
We all know him as one of the most talented actors out there. Having now starred in over 30 feature films that have touched our hearts, made us laugh, or inspired us to do something great, Leonardo DiCaprio is certainly a familiar face — and for good reason.
However, Leo’s impact on the world stretches much further than the big screen, having become one of the most globally recognizable activists on a number of issues in recent years — issues which include, but are not limited to: guarding against animal extinction, First Nations protection, climate change, and global catastrophes.
To date, Leo has appeared and spoken at a number of United Nations summits and global activist festivals, and has even founded and hosted an annual Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Gala which has raised millions of dollars to help protect and preserve the environment.
It should come as no surprise then that, when given the public spotlight of a speech following his Golden Globe award win for best actor in a drama motion picture, Leo would mention something out of the ordinary. After thanking everyone involved in the film (The Revenant), DiCaprio took a moment to address the First Nations and Indigenous people of this world. Check it out:
While his mention may seem minimal, its impact has certainly been great, as his speech began trending all over the internet from the moment he finished delivering it — and not just for the superficial reasons of him deserving the award (and hopefully more come February at The Oscars.
It’s unfortunate that we idolize actors, athletes, and musicians as much as we do, but with that being the case it’s incredibly impactful when celebrities choose to use that power to make a difference. Jim Carrey, Russell Brand, and Mark Ruffalo are just a few of the many celebrity figures that have used their spotlight to raise awareness about issues that deserve global attention.
I’ve always been a big fan of Leo’s work, and for that reason have always closely monitored his efforts as an activist as well. While many may disagree with some of the causes he supports, it is impossible not to commend the passion that he regularly displays to help make this world a better place. I love seeing the mainstream public spotlight be unexpectedly used to shed light on any pressing issue, so I was happy to see Leo use his Golden Globe speech in this way.
What are your thoughts on Leo’s acceptance speech? Do you trust the efforts of him and other celebrities when they stand up for a cause they are passionate about? Let us know via the comment section!
Source: Collective Evolution
- 25 Unforgettable Quotes By Robin Williams
- Johnny Depp Intends To Buy Site Of Wounded Knee Massacre And Gift It Back To The Native American People
- Everyone Is Talking About Jim Carrey’s Speech. In Just 1 Minute, He Absolutely NAILS Life.
- Simpsons Co-Creator Passes Away At The Age of 59 After Donating His Fortune To Charity
- From Selma to Snowden, Oscar Speeches Invoke Activism & Calls for Social Justice
- The Heartbreakingly Tragic Story Of Keanu Reeves Revealed
- 11 Anti-war And Anti-fascism Movies You Really Have To Watch
- 10 Movies That Could Change Your Understanding Of Life
- 6 Mind Expanding Movies That Will Make You Question Reality And Life
- 5 Must Watch Comedies With Surprisingly Powerful Messages
- 300+ Mind Expanding Documentaries
Leonardo DiCaprio’s Golden Globe Acceptance Speech For The First Nations & Indigenous People Of The World Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 11:54 AM Rating: