The health benefits of exercise have been cited over and over again in numerous scientific journals and classrooms. The gist is simple: living like a couch potato can have grave consequences. Not only that, but sitting for long periods of time has also been found to have detrimental side effects.
Finally, we have a bit of good news if you’re the type who would rather plop down on the couch instead of climbing a mountain. Recent research, published in Social Science & Health, has found a significant correlation between reading books and living longer.
Yale University’s team of health researchers studied data collected from 3,635 Americans, age 50 and over, between 1992 and 2012. When controlling for age, sex, race, education, wealth, marital status, and depression, books were seen to be a determining factor in lifespan.
After 12 years of follow-up study, it was found that people who read books had a 20 percent less chance of dying than those who did not read books. On average, researchers concluded that reading books provided a person about 23 extra months of life.
And, as an interesting side note–reading magazines and newspapers did not produce the same result.
Leader of the study, Avni Bavishi, thinks that the inherent nature of books–the engaging narratives, complex characters, and the length of books themselves–causes people to build enhanced cognitive skills (like recalling information, and being able to work backwards). It is these cognitive skills that show a strong positive correlation to an increased lifespan.
It is important to note, however, that the research only found correlation, and no direct causation. But, we’ll take it.
Bookworms rejoice, and never stop reading. Apparently, your life depends on it.
Source: Expanded Consciousness
- Men Who Marry Smart Women Live Longer
- 10 Books You Have To Read
- 6 Benefits Of Reading Everyone Needs To Know
- How reading is one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself
- Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With
- Why You Should Consider Dating A Girl Who Reads
- 6 Reasons Science Says you Should Read a Book
- 10 Benefits of Reading: Why You Should Read Every Day
- 7 Books That Will Radically Shift Your Perspectives
- 12 of the Most Inspirational Books from the Last 100 Years
- 14 reasons to read daily
- 13 ways to improve your studying process
- How I Learned to Read 300 Percent Faster in 20 Minutes
- Sapiosexuality: Why Some of Us are Attracted Purely by Intelligence (backed by science, of course)
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
- 16 cool words you didn't know
- 12 Dozen Places To Educate Yourself Online For Free
- 20 Websites To Help You Learn A New Language
- List of 40 FREE Educational Websites
- Learn New Skills Through These 40 Sites
- Free books: 100 legal sites to download literature
- 135 Self-Education Resources For Lifelong Learners
- 300+ Mind Expanding Documentaries
- Work Less and Do More by Applying the Pareto Principle to Your Task List