100 Unbelievably Weird Laws From Around The World
1) In Victoria, only a qualified electrician is allowed to change a light bulb. It’s illegal to change it yourself unless you are a qualified electrician. If not you would have to pay a fine up to 10 Australian dollars.
2) In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all the times, except during funerals or hospital visits. If you don’t, you have to pay a fine.
3) Winnie the pooh is banned from playgrounds in Tuszyn, in Poland. Because local authorities say Winnie is inappropriate for little children because Pooh is half naked.
4) In Coulaines, spitting was banned in 2009 to stop the spreading of swine flu.
5) In 2007, the Chinese government passed an absurd law, which stated that it’s illegal for the Tibetan monks to reincarnate without the government’s permission.
6) A popular law passed in England prohibits people to die in the House of Parliament. It is completely true and confirmed.
7) Eboli is a small town in Italy and kissing in a moving vehicle is banned here.
8) In Melbourne, Australia, vacuuming your house between 10 pm and 7 am during weekdays and 10 pm and 9 am during the weekends is against the law.
9) That’s not the only thing banned in Melbourne, it’s a place where men are banned from dressing up like a woman.
10) In Oklahoma, it is against the law to have a sleeping donkey in your bathtub after 7 pm.
11) Driving a dirty car is against the law in the Russian city of Chelyabinsk. You will have to face fine if you deny this law.
12) In Switzerland, flushing the toilet after 10 pm in an apartment building is illegal. The Swiss government considers it noise pollution.
13) In Canada, by law, one out of every five songs on the radio must be sung by a Canadian.
14) In Honolulu, Hawai, it is illegal to sing loudly after the sunset.
15) It is against the law not to walk your dog at least three times a day in Tornio, Italy.
16) Visitors of North Korea are not allowed to use North Korean currency and they are not allowed to enter into the city’s department stores.
17) A law passed in 2009 in Japan states that it is illegal to be fat. Yes, it is forbidden to be fat in Japan.
18) In Venice, it is illegal to feed the pigeons.
19) In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter.
20) In Singapore if you move around the house naked, without closing the blinds, you can be arrested.
21) Bear wrestling is illegal in Alabama.
22) In Oklahoma, you can be arrested for making ugly faces at a dog.
23) In Devon, Texas, it is against the law to make furniture while you are nude.
25) In Pennsylvania, it’s against the law to tie a dollar bill on a string on the ground and pull it away when someone tries to pick it up.
26) In Thailand, you can’t leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.
27) In Samoa, it is illegal to forget your wife’s birthday.
28) In Los Angeles, CA it’s illegal for a waiter to tell a customer “I’m really an actor.”
29) In Texas, it’s illegal to threaten somebody with an UNLOADED gun.
30) In Michigan, it is illegal to chain an alligator to a fire hydrant.
31) In Kentucky, carrying ice cream cones in your pocket is illegal.
32) In Illinois, giving a lighted cigar to a pet is illegal.
33) In Oxford, Ohio, a woman undressing in front of a picture of a man is breaking the law.
34) In Baltimore, Maryland, taking a lion to the cinema is illegal.
35) In Texas, if you are going to commit a crime, you legally have to give 24 hours notice to the police. Either orally or in written form.
36) In France, it’s illegal to name a pig Napoleon.
37) In Providence, Rhode Island, selling toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday is illegal.
38) In Turkey, it is illegal for a man above 80 years to become a pilot. (Well, that sound’s reasonable)
39) In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.
40) In Chico, California, the law states that anybody who detonates a nuclear device within the city limits is liable to a fine of $500.
42) In British Columbia, it is illegal to kill a Sasquatch or Bigfoot if one is ever found. (Any idea why this law was passed?)
43) You cannot fish while sitting on a giraffe’s neck in Chicago.
44) In Champaign, you can’t pee in your neighbor’s mouth.
45) In seven U.S. states, according to their constitutions, atheists are barred from holding public office.
46) Sodomy is illegal, in general, in Idaho, Utah, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. In these states, sodomy is only illegal for homosexuals: Montana, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Oral sex is often considered sodomy by many states, according to the Hebrew Bible. Except strangely, you don’t see people as equally outraged about this as they are about gay sex.
47) Interracial marriage was still illegal in Alabama in 2000.
48) Not until 2008 did the UN Security Council pass UN Security Council Resolution No. 1820 which declared rape and other forms of sexual violence a war crime, a crime against humanity, and a constitutive act with respect to genocide, arising from the conflict in the Balkans, in which violating women became an conspicuous weapon in the war.
49) Since 1986, US authorities have had the legal right to access any 180-day old email, without a warrant.
50) In Mobile, Alabama, it is against the law to throw confetti or spray silly string.
51) In Saudi Arabia, it is illegal for any woman to drive a car. Right now, it’s illegal for them to vote too. Apparently it will become legal in 2015 (how sweet).
52) In Dubai, extramarital sex is against the law and could result in jail sentences for over a year. Which means that in rape cases, both the victim and the perpetrator could end up being charged with the same crime.
53) In Saudi Arabia, there is no minimum age for marriage. In 2008, a Saudi court refused an 8-year-old girl, who asked for a divorce from her 58-year-old husband.
54) In 29 states in the US it is legal to fire someone for being gay.
55) In Greece, police are allowed to arrest anyone suspected of having HIV. Police are also allowed to force HIV testing, to publicize the names of HIV-positive people and to have them evicted from their homes.
56) In the Philippines you can be charged with the crime of “unjust vexation” for doing just that, vexing someone. And yes, it is as vague and arbitrary as it sounds.
57) The only two states where divorce is illegal are the Philippines and The Vatican.
58) In Thailand it is illegal to step on money.
59) In Singapore, selling non-medical chewing gum or chewing normal gum is a fine of $1000. A second offense costs $2000 and being forced to clean a public area of the city for a day. If a person litters three times, they must clean the streets wearing a bib that reads “I’m a litterer.” Even pharmacists who sell the medical gum and forget to ID get two years in jail. Spitting is also illegal and can result in arrest.
60) In July 2013 a law was passed in China that states it is illegal for adult children to not visit their parents “often” in China. They are also required to attend to their parent’s spiritual needs.
61) There is a law in South Carolina called the no “mock proposal” law, which states that anybody above the age of 16-years-old is not allowed to perform a proposal if they do not mean it.
62) In Montana, “proxy weddings” are allowed for those serving in the military, which means a friend can pretend to be the groom or the bride and the union will still be considered valid. In some cases both the bride and the groom are absent.
63) In Arkansas there still exists a law that was instated in the 1800s that states a husband is allowed to beat his wife, but only once a month.
64) In Rhode Island, a union can be considered invalid under the grounds that the party is deemed to be, collectively, an idiot or a lunatic.
65) In Arizona, having more than two vibrators in your home is illegal. If you own more than two in your house, you can be subject to criminal possession.
66) In Iowa, it is illegal for a man with a mustache to kiss a woman in public.
67) In Massachusetts it is deemed illegal for a woman to be on top during sex.
68) It is also apparently illegal in Massachusetts for a man and a woman who rent a room for the night to sleep in the nude.
69) In Virginia, it is illegal for a man to kick a woman out of bed.
70) In Britain it is illegal to handle a salmon in suspicious circumstances.
71) In Vermont, a wife needs the husband’s permission to wear false teeth.
72) In North Carolina couples must have sex in the missionary position and with the curtains pulled.
73) In Britain, it is illegal to import potatoes into England or Wales if you have reasonable cause to believe that they are Polish.
74) In Oregon, talking dirty while having sex is illegal. Even though they don’t really specify what qualifies as dirty talk.
75) In Utah you can marry your cousin, but only if you are both over the age of 65. Because, you know, when you turn 65 you’re known to have impeccable judgment.
76) In Britain you are not allowed to let your pet mate with any pet form the royal house.
77) In Utah, a husband is responsible for his wife’s actions as long as he is with her at the time of her “actions.”
78) In Kentucky, a woman cannot remarry the same man more than three times.
79) In parts of India, a man who is in debt can offer up his wife until the debt is paid.
80) In Greece, if anyone wants to get married, the law requires those to publish their wedding notice in a newspaper (written in Greek) or on the City Hall notice board.
81) In France, it is stated as illegal to marry a dead person.
82) In Britain, it is illegal to carry a plank along the pavement.
83) In Hong Kong, there’s a law that allows a wife to kill her husband if she finds him cheating. However, she must kill him with her bare hands.
84) In Britain it is illegal to operate a cow while intoxicated.
85) In New York City it is illegal to honk your horn. If you do, you’re at risk of paying $350 fine.
86) In Florida, it’s illegal to fart in a public place after 6pm on a Thursday.
87) By law, any whale or great Sturgeon caught in the UK is the property of the Queen.
88) In Britain, oddly enough it is illegal to be drunk in the pub.
89) In Missouri it is illegal to drive with an uncaged bear
90) In Turin, Italy, dog owners must take their dogs on a walk at least three times a day.
91) In Sweden it is illegal to be found buying the services of a prostitute, even though prostitution is legal. Which means the prostitutes themselves would not be breaking the law. In the past few years Iceland and Norway have also adopted this law.
92) In Victoria, Australia, it is illegal to change a light bulb unless you’re a licensed electrician.
93) In the UK, a law still exists from the Middle Ages that requires all males over the age of 14 to be trained in shooting a long bow.
94) Bangladeshi children of 15 and older can be sent to jail for cheating on their final exams.
95) In Australia, men are free to cross-dress, just as long as their dresses are not strapless.
96) In Florida it is illegal for a divorced or a widowed woman to skydive on a Sunday afternoon.
99) In Canada, any comic book that portrays illegal activity is banned.
100) In Argentina, there is a law that states that Argentine nightclubs must play the same amount of tango music as all other forms of music combined.
100 Unbelievably Weird Laws From Around The World Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 8:41 AM Rating: