I believe we all knew and loved George Carlin, one of the best stand-up comedians and social critics of his generation. He was born on May 12th, 1937 and he died some years ago, on June 22, 2008. Carlin was noted for his black comedy and his thoughts on politics. He and his "Seven dirty words" comedy routine were central to the 1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation.
In 2008, Carlin was posthumously awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. The following quotes can prove us why:
1) “Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.” (When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?)
2) “People say, 'I'm going to sleep now,' as if it were nothing. But it's really a bizarre activity. 'For the next several hours, while the sun is gone, I'm going to become unconscious, temporarily losing command over everything I know and understand. When the sun returns, I will resume my life.'
If you didn't know what sleep was, and you had only seen it in a science fiction movie, you would think it was weird and tell all your friends about the movie you'd seen.
They had these people, you know? And they would walk around all day and be OK? And then, once a day, usually after dark, they would lie down on these special platforms and become unconscious. They would stop functioning almost completely, except deep in their minds they would have adventures and experiences that were completely impossible in real life. As they lay there, completely vulnerable to their enemies, their only movements were to occasionally shift from one position to another; or, if one of the 'mind adventures' got too real, they would sit up and scream and be glad they weren't unconscious anymore. Then they would drink a lot of coffee.'
So, next time you see someone sleeping, make believe you're in a science fiction movie. And whisper, 'The creature is regenerating itself.” (Brain Droppings)
3) “Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.”
4) “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.”
5) “I don't like ass kissers, flag wavers or team players. I like people who buck the system. Individualists. I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.'" Avoid teams at all cost. Keep your circle small. Never join a group that has a name. If they say, "We're the So-and-Sos," take a walk. And if, somehow, you must join, if it's unavoidable, such as a union or a trade association, go ahead and join. But don't participate; it will be your death. And if they tell you you're not a team player, congratulate them on being observant.”
6) “I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions.”
7) “I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State... These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.”
8) “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
9) “I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds.”
10) “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.”
11) “He - and if there is a God, I am convinced he is a he, because no woman could or would ever fuck things up this badly.”
12) “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
13) “The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death! What’s that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you’re too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating …and you finish off as an orgasm.”
14) “I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so fuckin' heroic.”
15) “That's why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.”
16) “Religion is like a pair of shoes.....Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.”
17) “We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. We're gonna save the fuckin' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are fucked! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your shit, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake.”
18) “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
19) “Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”
20) “Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.”
21) “Some people see things that are and ask, Why?
Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?
Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.”
22) “If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?”
23) “The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”
24) “There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.”
25) “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
George Carlin's work:
- 26 Mind-Blowing Quotes By Bill Hicks
- 30 Humanitarian Inspiring Quotes By Martin Luther King Jr.
- 30 Political and Philosophical Quotes By Noam Chomsky
- 10 Pieces Of Wisdom & Quotes From Native American Elders
- 10 Quotes From a Sioux Indian Chief That Will Make You Question Everything About Our Society
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books