The eternal symbols of ancient times are still so powerful and intriguing. What are these symbols? What did all the ancient cultures use them for?
What is their true meaning and how have they affected the ancient cultures throughout the world? Let’s find out!
1. Ancient Dolmens
The existence of dolmens in various parts of the world, as well as their purpose, remains a mystery. A dolmen is a kind of single-chamber megalithic tomb. It is surprising that ancient dolmens can be found in Spain, Germany, France, but also in Jordan, Korea and India.
2. The Pyramids
Nobody knows the real purpose for the construction of pyramids. They were not only built in Egypt, as most people might think, but they can be found all over the world. Although experts say they were used as tombs, it is known that this was not their only intend.
3. The Swastika Symbol
People keep associating this symbol with the Nazis as well as their brutal and horrifying atrocities. However, what is unknown to most people is the fact that Swastika was a symbol of power in ancient times used by all the ancient cultures in Europe.
4. The Spiral Motif
Newgrange in Boyne Valley, Ireland
It is very common in all ancient cultures as a symbol of growth and evolution. It also represents the goddess, the womb, fertility and life force energy. Until today, it has remained a sacred symbol that reminds us of our evolving journey in life.
5. The Hand Motif
When it comes to rock art, hand paintings are the most common element all over the world. They are presented in a variety of styles with different methods: as a stencil, painting the outline of the hand or the hand itself before placing it on a rock. This amazing form of art is admired by everyone.
6. Ancient Metal Clamps
Using metal clamps was very common worldwide in ancient times. According to some scientists, their use was ceremonial while some others say they were used to join enormous blocks of stone. But have you ever wondered how the same technique was used by different ancient cultures in parts of the world so distant from each other? Researchers are still trying to explain it.
7. The Pine Cone Symbol
Bronze Pigna at Vatican, Rome
It is the symbol of the ultimate spiritual illumination used by numerous ancient cultures in art, as well as architecture, and refers to the “Third Eye” that every person has. Its importance was acknowledged by the Indonesians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and many more civilizations.
8. Figures Sticking Out Their Tongue
Wood Carvings of ancestors in a Maori Meeting House, Waitangi, New Zealand
Another common element that can be found worldwide is figures sticking out their tongue. Although in some cultures it is considered to be a sign of respect, in other parts of the world it is a powerful sign that symbolizes strength and intimidation against the enemy.
9. The Sphinx
According to the ancient Greek tradition, the Sphinx had a human head, the haunches of a lion and the wings of a bird. For the Greeks, it was a woman, for the Egyptians a man. This mysterious creature that was considered to be a powerful guardian can be found in various parts of the world.
10. Figures of Priests
Hatiay Stela, limestone (Late Bronze Age, 18th dynasty, Egypt)
Figures of priests appear in ancient monuments all over the world. This shows how important their role was in ancient societies. Their figures symbolized power and wisdom and can be found from India to Mexico.
Source: Learning Mind
- 8 Ancient Beliefs Now Backed By Modern Science
- 10 Mind-Blowing Theories That Will Change Your Perception of the World
- The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts
- Why Does Ancient Art Contain Depictions Of Flying Aircraft, Helicopters And Dinosaurs?
- Scientists Discovered the Egyptian Secret to Moving Huge Pyramid Stones
- The 10 Most Famous Personalities Of The Last 6,000 Years
- Top 14 Greatest Philosophers And Their Books
- DNA Reveals Origin of Crete’s Ancient Minoan People
- 30 Precious Life Lessons By 10 Ancient Greek Philosophers
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- Ancient Greeks discovered America, according to an Italian university professor
- This Mysterious 2,100-Year-Old Mechanism Is the World’s First Computer
- Unbelievable inventions by ancient Greeks that remained unexplained until the 20th century
- How To Build A Fake Ancient City In Just 5 Years
- What’s The Real Deal About The Atacama "Alien"?