Science shows poor people are more generous and wealth creates an 'empathy deficit'
This intriguing video with UC Berkeley psychologist Dacher Keltner dispels many myths about the way humans are wired and explains the science behind empathy and kindness. Despite many of us believing in social Darwinism (the mistaken view that survival of the fittest translates into being naturally selfish; the most ruthless of us will achieve better success etc), Keltner puts the record straight: Darwin never said those things. In fact, Darwin specifically came to the opposite conclusion, underlining compassion and empathy as key functions of a successful society or group.
Keltner talks about how scientific studies are proving this to be true, and points out that we think about other people at least 40% of the time. He goes on to explain how wealth affects our compassion levels, with some disturbing findings. People who have less give more, and feel more empathy when showed pictures of other people suffering. Wealthy people, however, are more or less disabled in this area: they have what Keltner calls an ‘empathy deficit’, meaning that the pursuit of money and societal divisions of class are literally over-riding the natural (and primeval) functions of selflessness which we are all born with. These functions are crucial for a healthy, happy society.
This is a fascinating topic which seems to prove without a doubt that humans are inherently good people: it’s just society that’s sick. “We have to redefine human self interest,” Keltner says. “The brain really cares about other people.”
Source: True Activist
- World's 100 Richest earned enough in 2012 to End Global Poverty 4 Times over
- The Money Masters (Documentary): How Banks Create Money Out Of Thin Air
- The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind (Debt Ceiling Truth)
- Wealth Inequality - The Actual Distributions of Money
- President Of Uruguay, Donates 90% Of Salary To Charity
- The Man Who Lives Without Money
- A man in debt demolishes his house and drops it in front of the bank
- Why The World’s Second Richest Man Wants You To Work Less
- What Would You Like To Do, If Money Was No Object?
- If You Hate Your Job Today, You Have To Read This
- This Guy Just Explained Capitalism Absolutely Perfectly
- 86-Year-Old Woman Sends This Angry Letter To The Bank After They Bounced Her Check
- Sweden introduces a SIX-HOUR working day in bid to reduce sick leave, boost efficiency and make staff happier
- Disturbing (But Amazing) Pictures Expose The Absurdities Of Modern Culture *Warning: Graphic Images*
- “Don’t Let It Happen”: Orwell’s Prophetic Final Words On The Madness Of The Modern World