The Walled Off Hotel: Banksy Opened His First Hotel Next To Bethlehem Wall
Quique Kierszenbaum for the Guardian
Welcome to "The Walled Off Hotel", a hotel with nine bedrooms in Bethlehem. It has "the worst view in the world" (source) and its walls are covered by artworks made by street artist Banksy.
As Banksy hopes, his new artistic project will invite young Israeli to visit the area, even if that means that they should travel illegally.
“I would like to invite everyone to come here, invite Israeli civilians to come visit us here,” said manager Wisam Salsaa. “We want them to learn more about us, because when they know us it will break down the stereotypes and things will change.” (source)
The hotel is built so that it offers opportunities to tourists to learn and discuss. Banksy's famous black humour couldn't be absent of course. n one room, an Israeli soldier and a Palestinian protester thump each other with pillows, the feathers fluttering down towards the real pillows of the bed below. (source)
The piano bar is described as follows: "Guests can peruse a collection of Banksy artworks that include vandalized oil paintings and statues choking on tear gas fumes. Warm scones and freshly brewed tea are served daily on fine bone china and the Walled Off Salad should not be missed." (source)
The hotel also includes a gallery showing the work of Palestinian artists. It is the first in Bethlehem, says curator Housni Alkateeb Shehada, and a way for artists, who often find it hard to travel, to reach a wider audience.
The hotel opens to guests on 20 March, with bookings via the website.
The hotel keys come in the shape of the cement sections of the Israeli separation wall.
Source: Levine / Levine/SIPA/REX/Shutterstock
Hashlamoun / HASHLAMOUN/EPA/REX/Shutterstock
- 15 Of Banksy’s Most Iconic Street Artworks
- On Banksy’s Christmas Card Joseph And Mary Can’t Make It To Bethlehem
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
- Banksy reminds the world that Steve Jobs was a son of a Syrian migrant
- Thousands of Israeli & Palestinian Women Unify In 2 Week Peace March
- Non-Profit Organization Brings Free Solar Energy To The People Of Gaza
- Over 50 Israeli Soldiers Refuse to Fight and Call on Other Conscripts to Resist Military Orders
- 9 Graphics to Help You Understand What Life Is Really Like in Gaza
- Palestinian Woman Plants Flowers In Israeli Army Tear Gas Grenades
- This Brilliant Animation Provides A Brief History Of The Bloody Israel/Palestine Conflict
- Man In Gaza Invents Solar Powered Water Purification Tank for War-Torn Town
- Greek parliament voted to recognize independent Palestinian state - Russia to Provide Up to $5.3Mln in Humanitarian Aid to Palestine
The Walled Off Hotel: Banksy Opened His First Hotel Next To Bethlehem Wall Reviewed by Κατερίνα Παπακυριακοπούλου on 4:16 AM Rating: