St Petersburg city lawmaker Vitaly Milonov, known as the main sponsor of the Russian law banning gay propaganda to minors, has proposed that the Turkish city of Istanbul be renamed Constantinople on all Russian maps and in state-approved textbooks.
In a letter to Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Milonov called the renaming “the return of Istanbul’s historical name,” adding that the name Constantinople was used in Tsarist Russia.
“Many residents of our country still connect the city of Istanbul only with the history of Byzantium. Before the Bolshevik revolution, this city was not named other than Constantinople in our country. Today, many Orthodox Christian nations, for example, Greece, maintain this tradition,” Milonov wrote in his letter as quoted by RIA Novosti.
“The return of the city’s historical name would symbolize that our country and our people keep the tragic fate of Byzantium in its memory,” Milonov wrote. “We do not reject the modern name but also keep our right for historical justice even though it is contained in the form of a symbol.”
The name Constantinople was officially used by all countries, including the Ottoman Empire, for Istanbul until 1930. It was only officially changed after Turkey declared itself a republic.
Milonov is a veteran of Russian politics but he gained nationwide and international fame as the main sponsor of the 2013 nationwide legislative ban on gay propaganda to minors. Over the past few years he has continued to dwell on the topic, proposing many more restrictions, such as an entry ban on the openly gay CEO of Apple, Tim Cook, and fines for walking topless in public. His other initiatives have included a bill outlawing child beauty pageants, the forced resettlement of homeless people to rural areas, a campaign against fake accounts in social networks, and many more.
In September 2015, Milonov announced that he was launching an international human rights association “Volunteers of Freedom” with the target of redressing the balance in favor of traditional values.
- Turkey’s Continued Siege of Constantinople: Insulting Celebration of Greek Bloodshed on May 29
- On This Day May 19, 1919: Ataturk Begins Onslaught Against Pontian Greeks
- December the 9th - Day against genocides
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Turkey Detains 18 Academics For Criticizing Military Campaign Against Kurds as Chomsky Takes Aim at Erdoğan's Brutality, Hypocrisy
- Turkey: Border Guards Kill and Injure Asylum Seekers (Human Rights Watch)
- Russian military reveals details of ISIS-Turkey oil smuggling - ISIS oil business involves Erdogan & his family
- Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President
- ‘They know how it’s done’: Turkey violated Greek airspace 2,244 times in 2014 alone
- ISIS survives largely because Turkey allows it to: the evidence
- One Year After Murder Of Journalist Who Had Revealed ISIS-Turkey-US Link, MSM, WH Silent [Video]
- THE END OF ISIS? Russian Airforce Just Destroyed ISIS’ Main Financial Source: 500 Oil Trucks
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The History Behind ISIS. Their Latest Shocking Terrorist Attacks Around The World.
- Paris: She Was Faking The Dead For More Than An Hour Lying Down Surrounded By Other People's Blood
- The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword: 28 Cartoonists Pay Tribute To The Victims Of The Charlie Hebdo Shooting
- Arab Newspapers React To ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Attacks With Cartoons Of Their Own
- Khaled al-Asaad, The Martyr Of Palmyra - Khaled al-Asaad Stood for the Future of Syria and the World Heritage
- One Syrian boy's plea - Just Stop the War in Syria!
- Captured, sold, raped: ISIS turns thousands of Christian women and children into sex slaves - Demolishing Syria’s ancient Palmyra temple
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Artists Around The World Respond To Tragic Death Of 3-Year-Old Syrian Refugee
- Greek Vacationers Rescue Syrian Refugee Stranded at Sea for 13 Hours Wearing Only a Life Vest
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees