"Laugh as much as possible, always laugh. It's the sweetest thing one can do for oneself & one's fellow human beings." - Maya Angelou
There's no better way to face everyday problems than a good sense of humour. That's what Gemma Correll tried to do by creating some really funny pictures that illustrate the problems of anxiety and depression. It was her own mental disorders who led her to create these illustrations. Humour was her way to express herself and what she is constantly facing.
Correll is a British cartoonist, writer and illustrator currently living in California. She studied Art in Norwich, England. She has a BA degree in Graphic Design, specializing in Illustration.
What’s essential to Correll, is to break down the stigma of depression in modern society and help people talk about their mental disorders. As she has says, “I honestly think that humor can be a savior at times of distress or, if you just live with a constant level of anxiety and depression like I do. I do think that people should speak more freely about anxiety. I know that I would have felt a little better as an anxiety-ridden teenager if I knew that I wasn’t completely alone in my fears”.
Some of her illustrations talk about the ‘perils of chronic overthinking’ or ‘the inferiority complex’ while another one is called ‘the worrier’s guide to life’. They depict the fears of a person with anxiety problems. They also show the way people with anxiety disorders and depression face themselves, their family and friends or the society in general.
Gemma has received thousands of messages on her Facebook page from people who suffer from similar disorders and haven’t been able to share what they’re going through. A woman wrote to her: ‘Thank you for your spot-on illustrations. I have bipolar II, anxiety…the list goes on and on. No one talks about it. There is humor in it. You have to see the humour or it kills you.’
Do you see yourself in any of her illustrations? Don't forget to comment and to share your thoughts below!
- 10 Signs You Suffer From Anxiety
- 12 Things Only People With Concealed Anxiety Will Understand
- Social Anxiety May Be Associated with High IQ and Empathetic Ability
- This Is What Someone With Anxiety Actually Hears
- I Created This Infographic About Depression To Show You’re Not Alone
- The Difficulty of Facing Anxiety And Depression Explained By This Amazing Comic
- What Is Depression? Let This Animation With A Dog Shed Light On It
- What It Feels Like To Be Depressed? 13 Charts That Perfectly Describe Depression.
- Stephen Hawking's Beautiful Advice For Those Who Suffer From Depression
- Medical Breakthrough! The One Prescription That Cures Anxiety, Depression, And Exhaustion
- Surrounded By Jerks: One Cause Of Depression That No One Talks About
- Being Too Nice Can Contribute to Depression
- What It's Like To Be In A Romantic Relationship When You Suffer From Depression
- 7 Things To Remember If Your Partner Suffers From Depression
- 12 Things You Need To Know When Your Partner Suffers From Depression
- 10 Ways to Treat Depression Without Antidepressants