Like most mental disorders, social anxiety can alter your perception of reality, yourself and others. As a result, social situations make you feel extremely uncomfortable and sometimes even panicked. Whatever involves the interaction with other people, from making a phone call to saying ‘hi’ to your neighbors, scares you like hell. So, you end up avoiding any situations in which you have to deal with other human beings.
Did you know that there are almost 15 million people suffering from social anxiety worldwide and this disorder is the third largest mental health issue in the United States? Even despite this, many misunderstand social anxiety and its sufferers, confusing it for shyness or being a snob. Well, like it usually happens, people are too fast to judge before they even try to understand.
Sometimes, it can be really difficult to explain what it is like to live with social anxiety to ‘normal’ people even if they know you better than anyone, like your loved ones or family members. “How can a simple phone call make you so nervous?” they ask, or “Stop acting like a freak, they’re not gonna bite you,” etc. How to make them see that you can’t simply stop? Like it often goes with mental disorders, the problem arises from the subconscious mind and you can’t easily control it. Usually having its roots in the childhood experiences, social anxiety makes you feel that people will judge you and laugh at you whatever you do. This deep fear of being judged and rejected is what causes those disturbing feeling of anxiety and nervousness, sometimes even leading to physiological symptoms like trembling and sweating.
To make ‘normal’ people better understand what social anxiety is and how it feels to live with this disorder, the artist Shea Strauss has created a hilarious comic titled Reality Versus Social Anxiety. The comic depicts six common situations and the differences between the reality and the way socially anxious people perceive them. If you can relate to social anxiety, I bet that most of these will remind you of yourself.
Image credit: College Humor
Source: Learning Mind
- 10 Signs You Suffer From Anxiety
- Social Anxiety May Be Associated with High IQ and Empathetic Ability
- The Difficulty of Facing Anxiety And Depression Explained By This Amazing Comic
- This Is What Someone With Anxiety Actually Hears
- What Is Depression? Let This Animation With A Dog Shed Light On It
- What It Feels Like To Be Depressed? 13 Charts That Perfectly Describe Depression.
- 10 Ways to Treat Depression Without Antidepressants
- 7 Things To Remember If Your Partner Suffers From Depression
- The Difference Between Sympathy And Empathy
- 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy
- The Key To Happiness, According To 3 Greek Philosophers
- 10 Little Habits that Steal Your Happiness
- How To Recognize A Mentally Strong Person: 15 Signs
- 10 Toxic Relationships Mentally Strong People Avoid
- 15 Tips For Empaths And Highly Sensitive People
- 15 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself
- 21 Habits of Happy People
- 11 Ways to Live a Happier Life, According to a Psychologist (Hint: These have nothing to do with money!)
- 17 acts of kindness that will make someone happy today
- Materialism Won't Lead You To Happiness. Here's Why!
- It will take just 1 minute to read this and change your thinking.
- 99 Interesting Quotes That Will Change How You See The World