Emotional Pictures Of Soldiers Saying 'Goodbye' To Their Sacrificed Horses During The First World War
It is estimated that almost 8 million horses, donkeys and mules were sacrificed during the First World War. They could be considered as "collateral victims", but history proved that their self-sacrifice had a critical influence upon the soldiers' psychology which influenced as well the outcome of crucial battles.
American soldiers who experienced war's cruelty, wanted to thank their horses for their sacrifices for the common goal. They didn't forget that through the absurdity and constant fear, their loyal horses stayed with them until the end.
The emotional pictures were taken in 1915 and illustrate 650 soldiers in New Mexico. The panoramic shot shows that the soldiers used their bodies to form a horse's head.
They carried food supplies, water, ammunition and medical supplies. One million horses left the United Kingdom, but only 60.000 returned! Michael Morpurgo wrote about their bravery in his book "War Horse".
During the first year of war, the lack of horses in the countryside made life difficult for rural families. Sometimes, German saboteurs poisoned English horses while the animals were traveling outside England.
The emotional bonding between a horse and its rider was really important. When a horse died, its rider was almost devastated.
During the deadly battles of Somme and Passchendaele, it is estimated that there were more horses' deaths than men's.
As Simon Butler said: "It was the first and the last world battle in which horses had a crucial role".
Soldiers burying their horses in a mass grave...
In the end of the war, some of the horses who survived were sold for their meat, while some others (not many) were lucky to return to their rural families.
Steven Spielberg, inspired by the book "War Horse", directed the movie "West End", which tells the story of the horses' role during the First World War. "West End" is one of the many anti-war films.
- 14 Soldiers Photographed Before, During And After They Went To War: The Result Is Shocking
- Must Watch: Putin Blows The Whistle On Who Really Created ISIS And How It Continues To Grow
- Russia Bombing Reportedly Takes Out 40% Of ISIS Infrastructure In One Week - Warships Attack ISIS Positions In Syria From Caspian Sea
- The Real Reason America Used Nuclear Weapons Against Japan. It Was Not To End the War Or Save Lives.
- The Human Losses Of The Second World War In An Animated Video
- Stunning Time Lapse Map Video Shows 1000 Years Of Europe's History In 3 Minutes
- The Recognition Of The Genocides As The Beginning Of Justice Against The Crimes Against Humanity
- Germany owes more than €279bn WWII reparations to Greece - more than Greece's debt to EU
- Turkish couple drops wedding banquet to feed 4,000 Syrian refugees
- Syrian Girl "Surrenders" In Front Of The Camera Mistaking It For A Gun!
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video - Save Syria's Children
- Her War: Women vs. ISIS (RT Documentary)
- Christians, Turkmen, Shiites and Yazidis Are Facing Real Genocide By ISIS
- ISIS thugs take a hammer to civilisation: Priceless 3,000-year-old artworks smashed to pieces in minutes as militants destroy Mosul museum
- A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: The First Genocide Of The 20th Century
- Which dictator killed the most People?
- When You Kill Ten Million Africans You Aren’t Called ‘Hitler’
- Watch What The Spanish People Did For Greece!
- Banksy Just Released This 2-Minute Film About Gaza, The Dream Holiday Destination For 2015
- Over 50 Israeli Soldiers Refuse to Fight and Call on Other Conscripts to Resist Military Orders
- 9 Graphics to Help You Understand What Life Is Really Like in Gaza
- This Brilliant Animation Provides A Brief History Of The Bloody Israel/Palestine Conflict
- These 20 Photographs Will Leave You Speechless. Especially The 11th One. There Are No Words.
- These 29 Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World
- 30 Of The Most Powerful Images Ever
- 35 Moments Of Violence That Brought Out Incredible Human Compassion
- The 63 Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken That Perfectly Capture The Human Experience
- 64 Historical Pictures you most likely haven’t seen before. # 8 is a bit disturbing!
- Ultimate Collection Of Rare Historical Photos. A Big Piece Of History (200 Pictures)
- The man who stopped World War III
Emotional Pictures Of Soldiers Saying 'Goodbye' To Their Sacrificed Horses During The First World War Reviewed by Katerina Pap on 4:13 AM Rating: