Many people tend to expect too much of others: their family, their friends or even just acquaintances. It's a usual mistake: people don't think exactly the way you do.
That's why you often get hurt by people when it's all your fault. It is only reasonable to expect that people will do what they say they will do. This is all we can reasonably expect - that people will keep their word.
The following list includes some of the things you should stop expecting from others.
1) People can't always agree with you.
Don’t let the opinions of others make you forget what you deserve. You are not in this world to live up to the expectations of others, nor should you feel that others are here to live up to yours. In fact, the more you approve of your own decisions in life, the less approval you need from everyone else. Don't be afraid to be yourself, and follow you own intuition, however frightening or strange that may feel or prove to be. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t get discouraged by their progress or success. Follow your own path and stay true to your own purpose. Success is ultimately about spending your life happily in your own way.
2) Nobody's perfect!
The first step you should take if you want to learn how to stop expecting too much from people is to simply realize and accept the fact that nobody’s perfect and that everyone makes mistakes every now and then. You’re not perfect either, so why would you expect that from somebody else? No one can fulfill everyone’s expectations, no matter how hard they try to do it. One simply can’t please everybody, so try to accept that and just move on!
3) Unless YOU respect yourself, no one will.
It’s important to be nice to others, but it’s even more important to be nice to yourself. When you practice self-love and self-respect, you give yourself the opportunity to be happy. Your strength is measured by your soul and spirit. You need to trust yourself and what you are capable of, and to be willing to do something about it. Don’t beg someone to respect you, love you or give you attention. You can do all of those things for yourself.
4) People won't change when you want them to.
Don't expect that you can correct someone. Loving people means loving them the way they are. In addition, people won't stop their bad habits because YOU want them to. They will do it for their sake - and that's what they should do. So, accept them for who they are, if you want them to accept you too.
5) People won't stay the same because you don't want them to change!
The truth is somewhere in between people changing and never changing. Sometimes we tend to get angry when a good friend of us starts to change - even if he actually improves himself. That's because we get a little bit jealous of him for having the courage to change while we don't. Or even it's because we are afraid of losing him - if, for example, he has found new friends. But changing is not always a sign of an unstable personality; it's often a sign of maturing.
6) People aren't always fair.
Life, too, isn't always fair, so stop expecting fairness in everything. Sometimes you don’t get the recognition or reward for your hard work; that’s just how it is. Learn to be ok with giving something your all and not expecting anything in return.
7) You can't make everyone love you.
This is one of the most important things you should stop expecting from others. If you think about it, it’s quite impossible to be liked by everyone you meet. There will always be negative people who will say mean #things to or about you. Learn to ignore them and surround yourself with people who really value your opinion and make you feel loved and accepted. Be yourself in every situation, no matter what other people say or think!
- 6 things you should stop expecting from others
- 6 Signs You Are Actually Maturing, Not Just Aging
- 7 Ways to Better Listen to Your Intuition
- 7 lies that prevent you from succeeding in life
- Even the smartest people forget these 7 basic truths
- 7 Things to Remember When You Think You’re Not Good Enough
- 8 Ways To Take Control Back Over Your Mind
- 11 Ways to Live a Happier Life, According to a Psychologist (Hint: These have nothing to do with money!)
- 13 Things to Remember When Life Gets Rough
- 13 things mentally strong people don’t do
- MOTIVATION: 15 Best Socrates Picture Quotes
- 15 Things Highly Confident People Don’t Do
- 15 Tips For Empaths And Highly Sensitive People
- 19 qualities of creative people
- 20 Signs It’s Time To Let Go & Move On
- 21 Habits of Happy People
- 25 traits of mentally strong people
- 25 Signs You’re Succeeding At Life (Even If It Doesn’t Feel Like It)
- 29 Signs You’re Doing Just Fine (Even If It Doesn’t Feel Like It)
- 99 Interesting Quotes That Will Change How You See The World
- 102 Habits for Positive Living